1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any advice on fixing a digital cam image?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by shenrick, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shenrick

shenrick Thread Starter

I took a picture with my digital cam, and when I DL'd it onto my PC, I realized that I was too close to the subject when the flash went off, therefore causing the pic to be mostly white. I see SOME of the image, but it's EXTREMELY bright. I've tried a couple of programs to darken it, but to no avail. This pic means alot to me, as it was a "once in a lifetime" pic. Any advice on fixing it? Thanks in advance!

2. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

If it's not to personal, you might post it here and let the forum take a shot at it, no promises, but several of us like to fool around with that stuff... Rhett :)

Oh by the way !!

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

3. shenrick

shenrick Thread Starter

Unfortunately, it is kinda personal ;), but I wish I COULD post it because I've seen some of the things you guys do and your ALL amazing!! :)...and thanks for the welcome :D. If someone could possibly refer me to some software that's good for this type of editing it would be great. Thanks again! :)

4. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Well, off the top of my head, I'd get DCEnhance, you can get the freeware version here : http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/enhancer.htm it's pretty easy to use, but I am not sure it will do all you need...worth a shot though... :)...good luck, and keep us posted, someone may have another idea.... Rhett

5. hewee

hewee

Get the DCEnhance as it is great and use the save-as and save as a .jpg or .bmp. If you have other image progarms that let you use layers the use the DCEnhance and save more then one. That way when you take out the white to make it look ok and it then changes other parts of the picture that you did not want to change you can just do more then one and then layer them to see if that helps.

6. shenrick

shenrick Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I downloaded the program, and took a look at some of its features. I haven't yet had the time to install it on my PC at home, because I'm at work now. However, it looks like it just might do the trick. Thanks again...I'll keep you all informed on my progress, but if anybody can think of anything else I might try it would be appreciated! :D Thanks again everyone.......

Sam

7. shenrick

shenrick Thread Starter

I know I'm probably becoming a BIG pain in the butt....but I just wanted to let everyone know that this program didn't work. It DID make it darker, however, it's still WAY to bright. I'm beginning to think it's a lost cause. Any other advise?....and as always, thanks for any help :)

8. hewee

hewee

Can you post a image here shenrick?

9. shenrick

shenrick Thread Starter

I TECHNICALLY could post it....but it's what some would consider innapropriate for this board. Sorry....I wish I could because then I know someone could fix it....but it wouldn't be right.

10. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

What Image programs do you have, perhaps someone knows something available for you to use within your own programs ??

Also... http://www.americansys.com/photowizard.htm?From=left here is a FREEWARE Image program that will let you adjust the brightness, you might give it a try

11. shenrick

shenrick Thread Starter

The only programs I'm using are the two that were recommended here. I've tried adjusting the brightness, but that doesn't seem to work. Basically, the foreground is where my subject was, and that's what's white (due to the flash), the cam was unfortunately only about 6" away when the flash went off. I can barely make out any detail, so I know that something is there. I saw a pic once where someone took a picture in just about total darkness using no flash, and he was still able to recover the image as if he used the flash. That's kinda what I want to do here, except in reverse...lol.

12. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

Howdy

unfortunately the pixels that the flash has overexposed to the point of white are not recoverable. They would have to be recreated in a real image editing program...

depending on the severity it can be a very time comsuming and difficult task even for a professional

buck

13. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

I think Buck is correct, white is the hardest color to work with, even if it's supposed to be part of the image, perhaps you could create another "personal" moment and retake the photo :)...just a thought :)...Rhett

14. shenrick

shenrick Thread Starter

LOL...if only it were that easy, but unfortunately, she's no longer willing ;). Thanks for all the help guys....but I'm not giving up hope. I'm still gonna try and see what I can come up with. Thanks again! :)

15. hewee

hewee

shenrick,

If you want to email me the image I can give it a try.
    PM me and I will give you a email address.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice