any benifit from static ip

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alexus56

Hello,
I am wanting to set up a web and ftp server on my network.
I guess I should have done my research a little better but I went ahead and got a static ip from my ISP for my router. Everything I read now suggests that I need to set up static ip's on the servers and computers and then port forward from the router. So I guess my question: is there any advanrage to having a external static ip. If there is some benifit that can be derived from it I will keep it, otherwise I cannot see paying the extra monthly charge.

You need a static IP if you're having a server that people will be able to connect to. Whether you can type in a URL and get the DNS to give you an IP for it, or whether you have to just type in the IP, if the IP changes every time the lease expires, no one will know the new address unless you update the DNS or whatever every time.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, you don't need a static IP address for a server, you just need to use a service like DynDNS to map a static URL to your dynamic IP address. Did I mention that the service is free? :)

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There are some benefits to having a static. John mentioned the ability to use a free dynamic DNS service like DynDNS. I personally use this service and it's worked flawlessly for me for the 2+ years of using it. But, should DynDNS decide to eliminate the service or charge for it, you have to deal with the ramifications. Also, you're limited somewhat to the type of domain you can create. If you have a static, you can create what ever you want provided no one else has already reserved it.

Also, there are some network services which require static IPs. If you are going to set up a site to site VPN tunnel, you need statics at both ends.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online