1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any external monitor I use keeps blinking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marianna224, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marianna224

marianna224 Thread Starter

I have an Inspiron 17 7779 2-in-1 laptop running Windows 10 Pro with an i7 processor and CPU @ 2.70GHz and all the latest updates (video drivers etc)

Under Device Manger I have two display adapters: a) Intel® HD Graphics 620 and b) NVIDIA GeForce 940MX.

I have tried two different brand new external monitors to use as a second screen (I use the HDMI port for both). I set them both at a refresh rate of 60Hz and have made sure I always have the most updated drivers.

No matter what I do however the external monitor will start blinking. It will turn black for a second and then go back as usual. At times the blinking is so frequent that you cannot see anything.

Tried different HDMI cables (3 to be exact) but no luck.

I also went into the NVIDIA control panel and from the 3D settings I chose the Integrated Graphics as the Preferred Graphics Processor. (only made an exception for WoW to use the NVIDIA processor)

I have spent hours upon hours online trying to find a solution but to no avail. Any help will be more than greatly appreciated.

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

Have you tried pushing F8 to switch to external monitor per the manual?

3. marianna224

marianna224 Thread Starter

I pressed F8 and chose Extend (because I need both monitors operational) but after about 20 minutes I came accross the same problem

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice