Any fix for thus type of HD corruption (beside wipe/start over)?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FijiJohn

We occasionally see machines that either freeze on booting or constantly reboot AND (here are the specific symptoms) ALWAYS, when we run chkdsk fron the recovery console give the message "CHKDSK is performing additional checking or repair.." three times in a row (never more or less - always three times), then hangs at 25% for a while, then proceeds (intermittently slowly) to 100%. When re-run, chkdsk gives the VERY SAME result, time after time after time. We have never found any fix except format and re-install. Has anyone else seen this? Do you have any better fix for it?

Three times is the usual. Many times I have seen this solve a disk problem. If there are errors on the first chkdsk /p, there are usually none on the second chkdsk /p. Chkdsk fixes only file system problems and should not be expected to do anything else.

FijiJohn

I am talking about situations where CHKDSK finds three errors on the first run, then three on the 2nd run, then 3 on the 3rd run etc. As many times as you run it, it always finds three errors. That's what I meant by "When re-run, chkdsk gives the VERY SAME result, time after time after time. "

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online