1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any Free Fun Software?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by RobLinux, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RobLinux

RobLinux Thread Starter

The games selection installed in Dell's Vista is small and not varied. In this boxes Linux guise there's a lot more fun stuff to demo the machine. I don't expect good results with old commercial Win98 games as those, seemed to crash and have issues even when updated with patches running on Win98SE.

Any body running any Free games under Vista? I'm not going to bother buying commercial titles, nor do I want to run stuff of dubious sources.

I'm looking for decent Open Source or Shareware (well maybe) suggestions, that are fun but don't have to have to be state of the art, gameplay more important than film quality graphics.

2. Therion11

Therion11

A number of quality titles have demo's hosted on file hosting websites. If you can think of a game you enjoyed that you think others would enjoy, you could set one up for free and completely legal.

I assume you're just looking for a good game to demonstrate, not a full game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. RobLinux

RobLinux Thread Starter

May be, I remember Doom & Quake worked fine like that.

Frankly I gave up on commercial games many years ago, because the quality was so low, look nice, but tended to crash at inconvenient moments (even updated with vendor patches). I just concluded that this stuff gets shipped to a date, and what they think as "good enough" doesn't meet my quality standards. I certainly wasn't going to spend money on more shoddy stuff, like the Win98SE progs I tried.

Not looking for fashionable big budget games, just stuff that's fun and freely available; and runs well under Vista. There's supposed to be loads of software on M$ but the included games are pretty tired. On Linux there's gimmicky stuff like "Planet Penguin Racer", "Neverball" some fancy 3D Breakout type games, flight ones, 2D shooters, platform games, as well as things like Backgammon, chess, connect 4, Abalone, Shogi, I could go on and on...

So I guess, I'm just wondering what ppl like, that's lightweight, downloadable and reliable, without a steep "training" curve.

4. Therion11

Therion11

Mmm, I know what you mean. alot of games are all flare and no substance. But I've not come across any games worth playing that were free. Either had crippling bugs, were just a bad idea, or was just plain poorly executed.

Lately, games I play run fine. I had most of my problems on windows 95. Since XP and Vista the games have very few problems, even before patching. I see alot of games that are pretty to look at though, and not alot of fun. You can probably tell by a quick look at the gaming section what games people are playing.

Another option is emulating one of the old SNES games. You might also want to look at softpedia for some freeware games too, if you havnt already. Hope this helped.

5. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I have been pressured by my grandchildren with the same question. I googled around and found this site well stocked.
    http://soft-best.net/
    There is freeware as well as demos. The ganes section, I thought, was orientated towards smaller children, but that is what mine are!
    I also found online games sites, which host masses of demos, was fun, but a litlle irritating when the games fold after your allotted grace period. Here are two such
    http://www.smashingames.com/
    http://www.bigfishgames.com/

6. RobLinux

RobLinux Thread Starter

There's games I use in Linux which according to Sourceforge (think stuff like Chromium), have Windows ports (or indeed main versions). So I may give some of them a try.

It seems a shame if ppl are not seeing past the well publicised commercial titles. I would expect most Home systems, would pick up some games at some point, but may be the Web has taken over, and everyone's playing Scrabble or Poker these days rather than risking downloads.

BTW
    I did the M$ "What works with Vista" thing, and it wanted me to have some digital certification, and insisted I use M$IE before it would tell me, the not very long list of applications they have, probably because they charge a fee to join the list. What a great way to sell your OS!

I am trying to be +ve about Vista, and making it worth demo-ing; but if there's not going to be much worth running on it, then I should have waited for the Linux port, of the application that I intend running. This experiment seems more trouble than it's worth.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Where did you do this "What works with Vista" thing?

8. RobLinux

RobLinux Thread Starter

In the sticky threads, there's a link to the M$ Vista software sites, with "Certified to work" and "What works with" categories.

9. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Once again, criticism of Vista/Microsoft without foundation.
    I felt, when it was first produced, that MS were to be congratulated, for being the first OS producer, in history, to try and build up a Dbase, for potential users information, of what hardware and software will work. They even produced categories what will run, or what may run, etc.
    I see no harm in the fact that they try to promote their own browser before you get to the list. I do not know what "digital certification" you encountered, except possibly the genuine advantage problem. I cannot comment further on that.
    I think it is, indeed, a great way to sell their OS, and the ever increasing list should be freely published and displayed.
    It is on this page, btw, if you are able to access it.
    https://winqual.microsoft.com/member/softwarelogo/workswithlist.aspx

10. RobLinux

RobLinux Thread Starter

The whole point of the WWW was you publish information in a standard format, and it did not matter what computer you had to read it.

For M$ to produce a list of software, that depends on a particular browser and their own OS does not endear them to users of other OS. In this case I was annoyed, that FireFox was pointlessly rejected, and I had to copy the link, into M$'s IE; due to M$'s arrogance.

You appear to be ignorant of for example, DECs practices in the early 1990's, where a Software Catalogue and Porting Guide (available to developers) was produced and a hardcopy given to customers.

So M$ are definitely not the "first OS producer, in history" to do something like that.

When I get incompent messages like that on the Web, my instinct is to avoid Vendor Lock In, and actually remove the OS produced by either the Clueless, or (more likely) the Cynical. Furthermore as that list is rather shorter than I would expect, for such a major OS installed on the majority of computers sold, I suspect Software Vendors have had to pay for inclusion and their "certification"; but I made it clear I was not certain on that point.

So actually this criticism of M$ is very well founded, and you do not appear to concern yourself with solid facts to base your opinions on.

11. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I don''t know where you picked up on that "whole point" There are many examples on the web, of material which can only be read by one source - PDF springs to mind. Yopu can ceratinly read anything on Microsofts pages on any computer.
    Could you explain to me why you feel MS should produce a list of software that can run on a rival's OS?
    I admit that the omission of Firefox is a flaw and underlines their pointless battle with a rival bowser. It seems Opera falls into the same category.
    I have no knowledge of the DEC product you mention (Is that the company that was bought by HP?) Was it an OS company?

Sorry you feel that one imcompetent posters comments offend you to the extent that you would remove the OS in favour of another. I am, obviously, a Vista supporter and was speaking up in favour of the product. I honesly believe that, if such anonymous criticism offends you, perhaps you should avoid such sites or be prepared to run out of OS's.

FWIW. It costs nothing, except a little work, to be included on the list. perhaps most software producers rightly feel their product will sell itself anyway. One must register and, quote,
    Obtain a copy of Windows Vista to test your application through your MSDN subscription.
    Access technical guidance using product performance requirements and test cases.
    Get 10 hours of e-mail technical support when you enroll your solution(s) in the INNOVATE ON Windows Vista initiative.
    Pretest to help ensure that your application is ready for certification, as well as reduce the need for retesting.

12. RobLinux

RobLinux Thread Starter

You appear to have misunderstood quite a few things, M$ really are being that stupidly evil and rude.
    Actually PDF has many programs that can read it, not just Adobe's viewer; so your example is not a good one, and indeed I believe I read they have now provided info to submit PDF to standardisation.

"The Whole Point" is from reading Internet RFCs in the early 90's before M$ did IP where all protocols designed to permit any conformant computer to communicate. If UNIX servers and Router's refused to talk to M$ Windows PC for standards violations, and insisted on a "proper" computer then that PC would not be able to do anything useful on the net at all! RFCs are there for a reason, to make things open!

Tim Burner's Lee designed HTML publish information, and for it to be readable by many different programs and hardware systems.
    Wrong! They insist on IE and complain about certification, if you use FireFox. Other M$ services, like Hotmail now developed to Windows Live Mail, work with any old browser but that stupid site doesn't and it's not the first time, I've had a problem with that area either, information about updates uses same BRAIN DEAD site!

I do not believe you have attempted to use FireFox on that winqual stuff, it does not give a choice of IE, Opera blah blah... but DEMANDS Internet Explorer!

This is the page you get https://winqual.microsoft.com/help/default.htm#winqual_requirements.htm

Notice that Win 2000, Win98 are not acceptable either!

Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP or later
    Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or later

I get that page, trying these winqual links from this page http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/933305

MORE INFORMATION
    Applications that have earned the "Certified for Windows Vista" logo
    To view the list of applications that have earned the "Certified for Windows Vista" logo, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    https://winqual.microsoft.com/member/softwarelogo/certifiedlist.aspx (https://winqual.microsoft.com/member/softwarelogo/certifiedlist.aspx)

Back to the top
    Applications that have earned the "Works with Windows Vista" logo
    To view the list of applications that have earned the "Works with Windows Vista" logo, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    https://winqual.microsoft.com/member/softwarelogo/workswithlist.aspx

winqual is Evil and Rude, it has time wasted before during updates, making it long winded to get information (which then turns out to be worthless patronising platitudes).
    No because I don't expect that. My complaint is that M$ producing a list of Vista capable software, but then insisting that you run M$'s IE to access it. There's no good technical reason for that. This is just a basic list of links providing information to inform ppl about packages on Vista.
    No the issue is that M$ are arrogant enough to order you to use their browser rather than work to the HTML standards. I don't mind whether they include programs or not.

If you have anything to do with M$ you should realise how annoying it is, to be "ordered to use IE", and considering the court cases it's a disgrace that the company gets away with it.
    Yes. They provided ported software package lists as a service to (potential) customers.
    What???? Nothing to do with poster's it's M$'s policy on the winqual website that I offends me.
    Wonder why so few have bothered then? May be if that website was actually not offending ppl by ordering the use of M$'s browser, they might want to be associated with it. I would not associate a product with Monopolistic practices which have gained M$ convictions in a number of well publicised court cases.

Hopefully now it is clear what disappointed me, and may be this thread can get back to some Free/Shareware game suggestions, it's supposed to be about fun stuff to use the machine not net politics.

13. earld2

earld2

all this verbage about "free" games is not at all enlightening to those seeking help with Vista, a great operating system rthat just needs some effort on the users part.

14. RobLinux

RobLinux Thread Starter

Fine if you're not interested in Free games don't read the thread. It's clearly labelled as such. When ppl make statements at odds with the facts, perhaps due to genuine misundertstanding it *always* takes more time to rebutt and correct the misapprehension.

BTW ZD Net's reported similar about the lack of registration of software as working on Vista "Microsoft has done a very bad job of getting people to sign up to say their software is compatible with Vista." http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39291043,00.htm?r=5

I expected ppl to simply list some fun playable stuff, that was worth downloading and had a trustworthy enough source...

Anyone have any ideas and suggestions?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/654075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice