1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any Freeware for Splitting Sony Digital Camera MPG Files ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Mike_E, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike_E

Mike_E Thread Starter

I recently received a SONY DSC-N2 Digital camera which I used to record a video image of my son's wedding vows. It turned out GREAT, but it's also too large to Upload to his Picasa Web site. The Picasa limit is 100 MB, and my file is about 160 MB.

Does anyone know of any Freeware that will allow me to split the .mpg file into two smaller files, each of which will still maintain the video and audio of the original recording ?

2. smbd

smbd

3. Soundy

Soundy

If you're using XP or Vista, use Windows Movie Maker to edit it and create a smaller .WMV file.

4. Mike_E

Mike_E Thread Starter

Thanks smbd.

I downloaded and installed the "Free Video Cut and Split" software, and was able to create two smaller videos, but the problem with both of them was that the original audio seems to have been lost as a part of the copy process.

I haven't yet tried the "MPEG Splitter" software, but I will. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Mike_E

Mike_E Thread Starter

Thanks for your idea Soundy. I didn't realize that Windows XP added the Move Maker software to my machine. I was able to locate it and try it, and it seems like it should do exactly what I was hoping for.

I've tried it a few times, but I must be doing something wrong because each time I "Cut" my original file, my copy ends up with the entire file, which is still too large for me to upload.

My problem is probably just that I'm not using the Movie Maker software correctly to do what I want it to do. I'll keep trying.

6. Soundy

Soundy

I haven't really used MovieMaker a lot, although my wife has played with it a fair bit... lemme pull it up here and take a look.

First thing you want to do is Import your file using "Import video" under the "Capture Video" Movie Task (assuming the Movie Tasks pane is open - I believe it is by default)... if there are any "breaks" in the video, WMM should automatically create separate files, assuming the breaks are "chapters".

If WMM has started up showing the "Storyboard" view at the bottom, click the Show Timeline button - you'll get a timeline with "Video", "Audio/Music" and "Title Overlay" strips (if you already have this view and a "Show Storyboard" button, then leave it as is).

Now drag your video clip into the timeline - it should show the full length. If you want to shorten it, you can click and drag the start or end line of the clip. If WMM has split it up into multiple clips, you'll need to drag each of them onto the timeline in order. (I believe, BTW, that this behaviour can be disabled in the options, but this method will work fine for now).

Assuming, again, that the "Movie Tasks" pane on the left is open, once your clip(s) is/are all on the timeline, click on Finish Movie, and under that, select "Save to my computer". Give it a name and location and click Next... it should then give you an option for "Best quality for playback..." and a "Show more choices" link - click that link. Select "Best fit to file size" and set it to... say, 90MB, just to allow some leeway. Click Next, and away it goes - it will create a new file in WMV format that you should then be able to upload to YouTube.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice