1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any help with ATI vid, on UBUNTU 10.10

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by necrovamp, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

I'm very new to linux so If you have any suggestions, please spell them out for me step-by-step.

I want to use something other than the generic driver for my Mobility radeon hd2600

The first thing I tried was getting the driver directly from the ati website, I had to install it using console, but i didnt run it as root (or sudo), after it installed and restarted linux would not boot up, the vid driver messed it up, I tried using various console commands to get the old driver in the end, but in the end I Gave up and reinstalled. (PS it almost worked in failsafe vid mode-no menus)

On my new installastion, I tried using the additional drivers feature and installed the new driver ubuntu suggested.
    It installed, and I could actuually login.
    Everything seemed fine, untill I opened any application, After that, the computer started lagging, at least 1 second between mouse and keyboard movements (When i say the computer started lagging, it was either that or the video card output)

I was able to safely uninstall that without messing anything up. Now I'm back to the regular generic driver, Any suggestions?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Have you installed mplayer and its dependent packages via System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager? Then you can issue the command line Terminal command: mplayer file.avi

-- Tom

3. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

I'll go ahead and do that, if I may ask what does mplayer have to do with my video drivers?

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi necrovamp,

What Linux distribution/version are you using, and why do you want to use something other than the generic driver for your Mobility radeon hd2600?

Mplayer is another app for playing most video codecs - i.e. if you are not experiencing a driver problem, don't try and fix a problem that may not exist.

With regard to video drivers, there are some blogs that describe solutions to vexing problems that users may have. If you have a video driver problem - search for your specific video card's driver and any related blogs that yield solutions for it on specific platforms whether Windows or Linux.

-- Tom

5. necrovamp

necrovamp Thread Starter

Ubuntu 10.10 maverick netbook edition
    I'm trying to play a 3d game, when I started it up, the only thing that rendered was the interface, none of the actually game was rendered. Thats the video problem that I'm trying to fix with new drivers.

The reason I'm asking on here about driver help, is I could go and fool around and try other drivers, but I do not want what happened, when I used the one from the ATI site to happen, and me have to reinstall

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi necrovamp,

Does the game website have a users forum that perhaps discusses these kinds of problems? If so, that would be a good source of information. With regard to your video card and its drivers that yield a better rendering of 3D without the problems you are experiencing and the netbook edition of Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick, I definitely would both search and post a message at Ubuntu Forums where there is a greater likelyhood of members that either have the same video card/driver and netbook release installed that either have the same problem and/or have found a solution to the problem you describe.

Let us know when/if you find a solution, and please post it here if you do. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

-- Tom

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice