1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any idea what the problem is / What I can do about it?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alex1267ty, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alex1267ty

alex1267ty Thread Starter

Hello,

I recently disconnected my computer from the Wireless Network by changing the WEP.
    I have managed to re-connect to the internet, on the computer that I disconnected, by going to 'Network Connections' on My Computer and fiddling around.

I now have access to the internet, I am actually currently writing this on the disconnected computer, however it constantly disconnects from the network.
    All I need to do to reconnect my computer to the network is go back to Network Connections, double click on a Network and wait until I can see green bars on my taskbar.
    Then go to Connection properties, and only press 'Ok'!

After this it works for a while, until it all happens over again.
    Does anybody have any idea what's wrong? Or what I could do to fix this?
    Also, it would help a lot if I could fix it from this, disconnected, computer.

Thanks!

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Hello and welcome to TSG.

I wonder if this could be as simple as a power saving option cutting in on your wireless adapter. Look in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager (in XP - just System>Device Manager in Vista and W7) and find the adapter in the list. Right click it, go to Properties and if there's a Power Management tab, click that and untick "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power", click Apply and OK your way out.

3. alex1267ty

Thank you very much for the advice, I did try this and the Power Saving option was ticked.
    After unticking it, however, the problem continued.

Thank you for your help!

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Pity - sometimes the really simple answers work first time. Maybe then, this is the router broadcasting on varying channels but your adapter is only looking at one channel. Are you comfortable working in the router's interface?

5. alex1267ty

I would give it a try, however I am little more than a total fool with Networking.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What operating system, and why are you using WEP instead of WPA?

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Good point - a twelve year old three houses away could be torrenting all sorts of illegal music and cutting you off. You'll also have a hard time explaining it wasn't you. Please secure that system properly before you go much further. It may also be worth cabling to the router to see if the disconnections persist when you aren't using wireless.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're right yet again, Saga Lout. :) I wasn't even thinking about the possibility the network is being "borrowed." Was thinking about the (apparent) fact that Vista and 7 sometimes struggle with WEP, especially with older routers.

9. alex1267ty

I'm using Windows XP SP 3.
    I'll switch to WPA once I've solved this problem.

10. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Here's a few details I wrote in another Forum on how to access teh router and play with the settings.

Go Start then Run in XP - Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7, then type in the following, including all the spaces:-

cmd /k ipconfig /all

then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the Default Gateway icon - something like 192.168.0.1.

Type exit to close the black form.

Open Internet Explorer and enter that code into the URL address bar as though it was a website. You're then at the login page to the router's settings utility and admin will usually be the login with either admin or password as the password.

If you're in, seek out Wireless and then Security and take a note of the key. Sometimes it may be a passphrase, some a simple set of letters and others a hexadecimal code. You also may as well note which level of security it is - WEP, WPA or WPA/PSK 2 and then either AES or TKIP. Your computer will already know this but it's handy information to store. Note also that hexadecimal only contains numbers from zero to 9 and letters a to f so there's no confusion of I and 1 with O and 0.

Keep a note of that security key in My Documents and also outside the computer so you don't have to go through this again and I don't have to write it all out. :D

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What wireless utility are you using, and are you sure that no other one is running? Candidates include XP's WZC, one named for the adapter's brand and one named for the computer's brand.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice