1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any ideas how to handle MUD driveways?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by sharky, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

[​IMG]

The above is picture i took off the internet,my driveway looks like that.

Any ideas if there is something i can buy at a Home Depot-like store to make the surface less muddy for a vehicle to transverse.

2. Guyzer

Guyzer

Lots of gravel..........

3. Knotbored

Knotbored

I have a dirt/mud/ gravel driveway also and I have to dump a couple loads of gravel every two years or so. I don't know of a better solution unless you bite the bullet and have it paved (figure about $1 to $2 a square foot to asphalt.)
    Remember water runs downhill-slope toward the edges and provide ditches to divert water and culverts to allow water under the road to get past. Standing water can saturate the soil and take weeks to dry out-surface water diverted properly will dry out much quicker.
    (the photo shows a pond of standing water -but I understand its not your drive but it is "like" your problem)

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

Dig the mud out first or you will end up with gravely mud... :)

Howdy Guy...

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Pave it. :)

6. Koot

Koot

Gravel it for a couple of years...and then pave it.

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

I'll post it one more time for those that don't understand... You can't pave over mud...

you can truck in hundreds of yards of gravel but if you put it into mud it will make gravely mud...

8. buck52

buck52 Banned

poor advice until the mud is removed

I do understand your intent JohnWill... :)

9. Guyzer

Guyzer

Hi buck............

If you can get your hands on limestone gravel and a bobcat or something to spread it once you get rid of the mud you'll be in great shape. That stuff packs like concrete.

Do you remember when I had 6 yards of limestone gravel trucked in on my small driveway and I had to use a two-stick diesel and Ukrainian backhoe to move it? I think I still have a bad back from that episode.

10. JohnWill

Naturally, I assumed that a qualified paving contractor would be used and would properly prepare the driveway. ;)

11. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

Hi dig down 4 inches x twice the width of a vehicle and remove all mud.
    Then lay a plastic sheet to stop any water from coming up to the top and then use sharp sand to the height of 3 inches then fill with gravel.

12. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

Iam still reading the responses. I like the paving except for the expense(about$1000-1500)at this time to do it.

Is this such a bad idea? I was thinking of getting about 4-10 wooden pallets that retailers use and give away free sometimes. Laying the pallets on top of the mud and parking my vehicle on them. Maybe purchase some strong flat wood panels for on top of the pallets. Maybe as an extension to blues_harp28's idea.

13. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

What's the length of the driveway?
    Dig to a depth of 4 inches..hammer in place pallet boards on their edge [not loose length wise]
    Space about 3 inches apart.
    Then lay loose boards on top..then use sharp sand for drainage [forget the plastic sheet]
    Fill the remaining space with gravel.

After some time the wooden boards will rot but should last for a few years.

14. Gnomad

Gnomad

A Paving contractor will only pave, the site needs to be properly prepared before they get there or they would pave right over the mud if they could :D

The best thing to do is to dig down 12" or so and fill with a layer of #2's, then possibly a layer of #57's, then crushed #304 on the very top.

15. JohnWill

Actually, that's not true at all. I just had a friend get his driveway paved locally, and they came out and prepared the base and then put the two coats of asphalt on the driveway. Obviously, some paving guys may work that way, but not any that I would ever hire!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700837