1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any image deployment software suggestions?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by fmanna, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fmanna

fmanna Thread Starter

I work for a large bookstore with a relatively small IT department, and we are looking for a way to image and restore a small number of PCs. Basically, I want to set up a master template PC, build an image of it, then be able to deploy that image over a Microsoft network from a server computer and/or from a bootable CD (pretty standard, I guess).

However, I want to be able to do this without having to install an imaging program on the master PC (preferrably to run the imaging software from a shared drive, because installing the imaging software on the client machines would violate the license agreement) and without booting to DOS from a floppy disk (the server machine doesn't have a floppy drive).

We're considering a few solutions for this: Acronis TrueImage 7, Imagecast 4.6.1, Altiris RapiDeploy, or Norton Ghost 2003. Will any of these solutions perform what we're looking for (I've been through the manuals for each and it seems like they can't add a client agent without booting the client machine into DOS or running the software from the client machine)? Does anyone have any suggestions from personal experience to use these or other products to accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Frank Manna

2. jameso321

jameso321

3. fmanna

fmanna Thread Starter

thanks, james, I have read that thread. It's close to what I want to be doing, but I assume I'd have to install Norton Ghost 2003 on the template machine to build the image, which I want to avoid. If this isn't so, and I can build the image remotely, then that's perfect.

Again, I'd also like to avoid having to make a boot disk since the machine running the imaging software has no floppy drive. It does have a burner, however, but the software I've tried assumes I'm making a floppy (i.e. only accepts A: or B: as destination drives for the boot disk).

-Frank

4. jameso321

jameso321

I have made CD's instead of floppys for this before.

Familiar with creating Bootable CD's with Nero?

There should be many threads about that here, too.

You are on the right track though, you listed a ton of imaging solutions in your first post, so you know what is going on already.

jameso321

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice