1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any min' requirements for buying modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aquarian3, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aquarian3

Aquarian3 Thread Starter

Hi,

My friend has a comp' that has just under 1MB hd memory - (no kidding) left, she has very little money and a child who needs a basic comp for homework - so for that reason it's just about ok!

Her modem is shite and I can't get it to work so I'm advising she buy another one - the one she has is a Sporster 14400 internal and just won't work with Win2000. I would like to buy a faster modem but not sure if she needs any minimum requirements for one to work. Knowing what little memory she has left - will that affect the purchase? Or is it safe just to get a 56K bog standard one?

Thank you in advance for any replies :)

oh, if anyone has any good sites where they sell cheap comp' bits in the UK could you put a link? thanks!

Lisa

2. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

It would be helpful to know some specs on her PC if possible, though if this helps .. when I first got net access in Oct 99 my setup was :

450mhz cpu / 64mb Ram / 17gb Hard Drive / 56k Modem / Win98SE.

Your friend should be able to enjoy reasonable surfing with a 300 mhz cpu or better, 128mb Ram (ideal minimum), and a hard drive that can be freed up as required.

She will certainly need more disk space than the amount you quoted - as she will have things to install such as her net service providers software, the modem software etc .... Is her drive just really small, or is it just full of clutter that she's never cleared off once it was no longer needed ? If its less than say 4gb then its maybe best to buy a bigger drive as well.

I know you can pick up 56k modems for under £10 near me ( N W of London) but as regards recommendations - perhaps state what her realistic budget is, or use :

http://www.google.com

And search for 'Budget PC Components UK', also try your local paper as you might see a local dealer who buys older pcs and might let you have what you need for a modest cost.

3. pronute

pronute

A empty PCI slot for one but if the computer doesn't have any PCI slots then you'll have to get an ISA 56K modem, there a little more because it's anything ISA is now considered legacy, Viking still makes ISA modems for older systems compatibility. other then that it will work with any modem, however with one GB of hard drive space left it wont be long before it's filled, and Windows starts to complain about it, then just stops working.

Here is a link to new egg there about the best with customer satisfaction.
    http://www.newegg.com/index.asp?DEPA=1

4. Aquarian3

Aquarian3 Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you who have replied :)

I'm not too worried about an ISP taking up any space as I'm going to put the settings in manually but your both right about the lack of hd space left. It's really crap! I will say to them that they're little amount of space left will be eaten up but will leave that up to them to let me know when they're ready to upgrade and spend out! It'll probably be sooner rather than later though!

Thank you both for your links and advice - I too used to live in NW London! Small world! We've only got one small computer shop locally so I'll have to enquire and see their prices, if I've got some info from the net I'll know they're not ripping me off :)

Anyway, I really appreciate your answers and help.

Bye for now and thanks again.

Lisa
    -X-

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!