Any news about WMF protection for WinME?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tsky-one23

I have been searching for info about the WMF exploit but have found nothing definate for protecting WinME users. Thanks.

look under FAQ on the following link. copied some of the answer for you.

Are Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition critically affected by one or more of the vulnerabilities that are addressed in this security bulletin?
No. Although Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition do contain the affected component, the vulnerability is not critical because an exploitable attack vector has not been identified that would yield a Critical severity rating for these versions. For more information about severity ratings, visit the following Web site.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-001.mspx

The wording of the FAQ is crucial in that an 'attack vector' has not been identified yet (and may never be). However, I don't interpret this to mean that the exploit could never affect 98/ME, only that there isn't currently an exploit that can be designated as Critical, the only type of patch now available for 98/ME. This wording doesn't rule out the existence of a 'Moderate' risk for example.

Given the amount of contradictory information flying around at the moment, it is difficult to know how much of a problem wmf really is for us 98/ME users. As a NOD user, I have chosen to install the unofficial patch available at their site. It is supposed to work with the older OS's, presumably by modifying or turning off the component that just might be open to future exploitation.

The patch is freely available but I am not recommending that anyone else use it because there is always a degree of risk and I have no wish to be responsible for causing any unnecessary diffiulties for others.

PS. Eset have removed their interim patch so noone can now 'risk' using it. No reason given but I assume it's because of the early release of the MS patch (or perhaps they found it didn't work properly on one or more of the OS's it was intended to protect!). I've had no problems (so far) and anyway am supposed to be fully protected by NOD's 'Threat Sense' heuristics etc.

In case anybody is still following this thread, I have now seen a thread in the NOD32 Forum over at Wilder's Security Forums written by the author of the Eset patch, Paolo Monti; http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php

He says MS asked Eset to remove his patch to avoid any possibility of conflict with their official version. A reasonable enough request you might think except, of course, for the fact that the official patch isn't available to 98/ME users because the potential exploit is not deemed to Critical (which is not to say that it's nonexistent).

So, on the offchance that the Monti patch will protect me from anything that could possibly develop, I'm still going to keep it.

Tsky-one23

thankyou people for your help. Will this monti patch work with winME? and if so does it follow that the MS patch will also work? I'm already logged in but when trying to reply I've had to log in again - seems odd.

There will not be a MS patch, at least for now (see the quote in imidiot's post).

The Monti patch, which may or may not protect against an, as yet, unknown threat to 98/ME, has been removed from the Eset site. It may still be available at the NOD Italian site but the Google translator doesn't seem to be able to render it in English; http://www.nod32.it/home/home.htm

Given the amount of apparently conflicting advice about this issue, it seems that all we 98/ME users can do is watch and wait, be careful about what we click on and keep our AV's up to date!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online