1. Is this all I will need:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition 4 g Thermal Paste
Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Asus GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Video Card
Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

(note - I have 2 intel i7 PCs with the 1030 video and seems sufficient, just occasional game play)

2. USBs the case has 2 usbs in the front (top) but I noticed the motherboard only shows one usb in the front.
Is something else required ?

3. the Ryzen has its own cooler, is it sufficient or should another be used, if so recommendation ?

See less See more
#31 ·
One of my personal systems does not have an optical drive. I do use a usb type adapter that can connect old IDE, sata 3.5" and sata 2.5" drives. I was not sure IF you could connect a sata optical drive however those work fine as well. This adapter is VERY useful for data rescue, etc.

#32 ·
I do use a usb type adapter that can connect old IDE, sata 3.5" and sata 2.5" drives.
I use a USB HDD/SSD docking station. My ThermalTake case had one built into it and it was hot swappable. Best feature of that case IMO. This case I have nowdoesn't have that so I got a desktop docking station and love it just as much as the one in my old case. One of the best peripherals one can have outside of a printer which ever style one likes.

#33 ·
Not to sound like Archie, but
If I buy the new technology, which doesn't appear to offer any advantages unless I am a gamer:
then I can purchase and store a portable dvd player and a docking station.
(might have to add a new drawer on my desk)
That will provide what I had with the old technology.
I must be getting old because I don't get it.,

#34 ·
Not to sound like Archie,
No, you're not....but point is taken.

it's no different then a case choice. So for me and just me....I'm not going to need a CD/DVD drive nor will I need a card reader. I moved strictly to USB storage and use different types of such drives. So I chose the case that worked for me. With the docking station that was built in to my old case, it ran at SATA III speed due to the PCI lane limitations. Now the docking station is an addon and it's USB 3.2 which is faster for data transfer speed vs the old SATA III. If you're in to that kind of stuff.

I have a dozen or so HDD's with DATA on them for just about anything you can think of. I just plop a drive in it's slot and tun on docking station and I go a bout my data transfers or backups. Versus have a full size tower with 20 HDDs that's loud and adds more unnecessary internal case heat.

Again....this just works for me and not every one will like that type of setup. Which is totally understandable. Do what works for you. We are just offering suggestions as to what works for us.

#39 ·
ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus or ASUS ROG Strix B550-F

Was going to go with the ROG Strix B550-F and the ryzen 7-3700, hadn't looked at the TUF. Now I am having second thoughts.

Being a non gamer it seems like the Tuf might be a better fit, I like 8 Sat ports. The Rog Strix has 6 sat, but if you use an m2 then 2 are blocked.

The case I am going to use has 2 usb 2 and 2 usb 3 connections, would that be an issue with the Tuf ?

On some of the motherboards only the wifi versions are available, I assume they are the same and you can just don't use that feature.

One Web site listed video cards that work with the Tuf. The nvidia 1030 wasn't listed.

The prebuilt io panel on the ROG Strix is nice.

#41 ·
There must be a typo on the asus support page for the Strix board. It shows five different bios updates all with the same release date of 03 July. I generally look at the number and frequency of bios updates for a given motherboard. Updates that support new processors OR update Agesa are fine. When you see a LOT of updates trying to fix problems, that is a red flag [at least for me]

There is no problem with either board using usb2 and usb3; both have ports on the board to support usb.
The strix board does have the better onboard audio and an intel lan. The TUF board uses the slightly cheaper audio and a realtek lan. Since the X570 chipset costs more than the 550, this is how the board mfg keeps costs down. You have to spend quite a bit more on an X570 board to get the high end sound and an intel lan.

#43 · (Edited)
One other item. The Strix board does not use a chipset cooling fan. This is because with the X570 chipset, more data is going through the chipset causing more heat. The 550 board has less lanes or data going through the chipset so it does not need the fan.
This is one reason why I stuck with my Asrock X470 board; no fan. I am a nut about having a silent system and the extra fan would probably drive me crazy :LOL:
For anyone who has not used the sonic studio that is part of the high end sound on asus boards, it is VERY good. You can even tailor different sound profiles for each program ie running a game, you have have more base or listening to music you can have less base and more mid-range. IMO this sound is every bit as good as my soundblaster card that I am using at the moment.
If I still had my asus crosshair hero board [with sonic studio] I would never have purchased a real sound card. Gave the board and processor to my kid.

#46 ·
Final config, just need to dot the i's.

Why am I building another PC, because I am going nuts hanging around the house.
(to old for Rossetta Stone.)

ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM
Nivida GeForce 1030

#47 ·
Those look fine. I have used corsair vengeance ram in a LOT of ryzen builds; works great. Be sure you have a quality pw supply.
If you intend on overclocking, you will probably need a better cooler than the stock amd cooler. If you are going to run at stock speed, the amd cooler is fine.

#51 ·
Will I be able to connect this cases usb3.0 to the an asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

The case states 2 x USB 3.0 (internal 20-pin connector to M/B)

Looking at the Asus motherboard states 2 x Front USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports
The documentation shows connect a USB 3.2 Gen 1 module for additional USB 3.2 Gen 1 front or rear panel ports.
purchased separately. SB 3.2 Gen 1 connector (20-1 pin U32G1_12)

Can I assume that the case can just connect to the 20 pin on the motherboard for standard usb 3 and SB 3.2 Gen 1 is just if I want to increase the number of usbs ?connector

#53 ·
Installing the Asus Tuf x570, finding these rgb options confusing.
There are rgb addressable connections
rgb Aura connections
many of the fans come with an rgb controller.

I just want blue, with the fans controlled by the motherboard.

Is there an rgb for dummies anywhere.

#54 ·
I've installed an asus TUF x570, below it is a Corsair cx550m power supply.
I won't be overclocking and am using a low temp Nividia Geforce 1030
(3 fans)

The clearance between the PSU and the motherboard is only about a 1/16th of an inch.
Does a power supply case get hot enough where this would be an issue ?

#55 ·
Shouldn't matter as long as they arent touching. If they were touching you would have to worry about shorting or vibration (noise) and not heat. Depending on how the power supply is installed, the power supply and the video card may be blowing hot air onto each other. So there could be a cooling issue. That would be my only concern in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.