Any one have any tips on overclocking a P4 2.8 Ghz 533 FSB processor ??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

primetime212

Hi..Im new to OC'ing...Im going to try to OC this one....any one have any advice ?? any info is appreciated

Is this a custom build or is it from a company like Dell or Gateway?

Mass produced PC's usually have any overclocking options stripped from the BIOS. Otherwise just type "how to overclock" in a google search and you'll find a wealth of information. It's pretty complicated if you don't know your way around the BIOS and can ruin your hardware so be warned.

primetime212

GripS said:
Is this a custom build or is it from a company like Dell or Gateway?

Mass produced PC's usually have any overclocking options stripped from the BIOS. Otherwise just type "how to overclock" in a google search and you'll find a wealth of information. It's pretty complicated if you don't know your way around the BIOS and can ruin your hardware so be warned.
Its OK if I ruin it....I didnt pay for it someone gave it to me...anyways I took the processor out of the Dell computer and would like to know what would be a good motherboard to try to OC this ?? is there any type I should look for ?? Im definitely want to try a board with at least a 800 MHz FSB

Newegg.com has a pretty good search for socket 478 motherboards. There is plenty of quality overclockers out there. Asus, DFI, Epox to name a few. Just remember to check out reviews on each particular board before buying it. Newegg has a pretty precise search list that let's you put in specifically what you want(brand name, socket type, FSB, ram type... the list goes on).

Remember that good quality hardware is what will give you the best results. This means don't go overclocking with a cheap power supply that came with your case or budget ram.

Spend more on the ram. Check overclocking sites on which ram works best with which processor/motherboard chipset. Buy the ram in a "dual channel" kit, try not to mix and match.

Keep it cool. Expect to run into problems and don't get frustrated. Read up, there's lots to learn.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online