Any operating system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

uniqunezz

First of all i would like to say that you guys are AWESOME. I posted in the xp section a whil ago and my pc is up and unning perfectly- it had mulitple problems that are just a bad memory thanks to you. Any way on to taday's FRUSTRATION.....
M son has an old computer....i had it sent away to have Windows installed because i had trouble trying to install it. It worked great for a week, froze one day and and seem to shut down, like it was killing itself one organ at a time. I wiped the system to see if win 95 or 98 would be "easier" for the old thing-The problem?....KEYBOARD ERROR 103-AE. the keyboard works in dos but no where else....so when i get to the point where windows wants to setup i cannot access "continue". I have 95,98 and xp(all legal) and am very frusterated. Please help!

Good Evening uniqunezz, have you tried another keyboard?
What type keyboard is it, larger round plug, smaller round plug or small rectangular plug. The older ones had a larger round plug and the newer breed have either the smaller round plug or the small rectangular type.
These are usually called AT, PS/2 or USB in that kind of order, I am mentioning this so that if you need to "borrow" a keyboard to try, you will know what type to get. Your problem may be a crook keyboard.
Cheers, qldit.

uniqunezz

Thank you for your quick response and I wish it were that simple. I have tried 3 keyboards including the one from my own pc......

Port may be bad, if you have a USB keyboard try using a PS/2 one, or if you have a PS/2 keyboard, try a usb one.

Yes that problem certainly sounds odd, I can think of no reason why it would work in DOS and not as windows setup begins.
There is one odd problem that happens and causes unpredictable things to happen often relating to inability to install systems.
This is problem often relates to failure of electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard, have a look at www.badcaps.net that site gives an explanation of that kind of problem and how to identify it. It is worth inspecting your motherboard.

The next thing to try would be to obtain "memtest86" and make a bootable CD or floppy with it, if this disk is booted the memory test will identify any possibly errors in that department.

This machine wouldn't be one of those really old VESA types with memory sharing
architecture that was around in the days of Windows 3.1 by any chance?
As far as I recall they all died before the introduction of the Pentum-100.

What is the processor type and any other information you might have on the type of mother board?
Cheers, qldit.

uniqunezz

I have inspected my motherboard, ( to the best of my ability). It looks like it's brand new. I observed pics on the site you provided (thanks) but it all looks great.

I tried "memtest86" and the it's been running now for 9 1/2
hours.Im not sure if this is normal....oh my

It is not one of those really old VESA types with memory sharing
architecture that was around in the days of Windows 3.1

I would be happy to share the processor type and any other information on the type of mother board - where would i find such

Yesterday when i ran out of options, i put the kids hard drive in my computer. I formatted it and installed windows without 1 single error - xp is up and running PERFECTLY but of course up putting it back in his- i stll have a keyboard error. If i boot from a floppy i have full access. I know it has to be something stupid and iam so determined to fix it.
My know it all brother and my mom's "computer friend" both wrote it off as the hard drive (without looking) but if that were true would it not have acted up when it was in my computer?

Good Evening uniqunezz, I gather you got no errors with memtest, it really gives the memory a decent test. So you got no errors with it?
There is a program called " Belarc" if you can google it and download it.
It is an information program, all it does is present a page of what your computer is.
It will tell you virtually all you want to know.

I stil can't imagine what would give you a keyboard error in windows and not in dos.
As you mention it is probably something quite simple.
As the machine begins to boot there is no keyboard error showing is this correct?
Did we determine what type of keyboard it was?
You wouldn't have the actual motherboard type and part number by any chance, Maybe there is some obscure BIOS setting involved?
Inspecting the board manual may help.
Belarc may actually provide that info.
The drive you loaded with windows was just an exercise wasn't it?
Thinking, thinking, thinking,.........brain overheat!
Yes try Belarc.

Just to clarify this, you have an old machine, when you try to load windows it fails to load and gives a keyboard error at that point.?
I understand using a different hard drive has no effect on that keyboard error?

Yes more info needed.
I suggest you are correct that it has nothing to do with the keyboard.
I really can't see why DOS is OK.
Has the battery been replaced recently, sometimes they can have odd effects when they age, even though it sounds ridiculous that it may have effect?

Cheers, qldit.

uniqunezz

Thank you again for your quick response...i was actually sitting here waiting...maybe i have no life......

Correct...no errors with memtest

I dont know how to use Belarc with out access to windows,

Memtest86 made a bootable cd- that i could ese the keyboard for

Yes as the machine boots it detects "keyboard error 103-ae" , it asks me to start winxp and then it reboots (looking for keyboard????)

The drive you loaded with windows was just an exercise wasn't it? I installed windows using my computer to as my guess of how illiminate the hard drive being the problem

Where would i find the motherboard type and part number, because i WILL find it for you?

Which battery, the flat round one?

(((((Just to clarify this, you have an old machine, when you try to load windows it fails to load and gives a keyboard error at that point.?I understand using a different hard drive has no effect on that keyboard error?))))))

I was afraid to put my hard drive into the spooked computer incase it harmed it....i had no way of knowing if it would.

Thanks again

Sorry I forgot the thing was dead. So Belarc is out.
Basically I suspect that code is a keyboard scan error, the keys are actually scanned at a high speed looking to see which is pressed, this makes the thing quite simple. The only problem is if the scan system has a problem.
It appears that may well be that case.
What is the circumstance in DOS where the keyboard actually works?

Are you familiar with entering the BIOS settings area?
If so on the first page there should be a setting near the bottom which may show "Halt on all errors" or halt on some other circumstance, this is referring to booting the machine and in that can be changed to "Halt on all but keyboard" with this setting the machine should pass that error problem and proceed.
It is possible that the error is real, in which case the thing may not work correctly any way give it a try if you can find it.
Usually hitting delete as the thing starts will take you into BIOS, but be careful what you change. When you have located and reset the "Halt on" to "all but keyboard" hit escape and then negotiate to "Save and exit" with "yes" then see what happens when you reboot.
The battery is probably the flat round one, probably a 2032 type.
If it hasn't been replace in the last eighteen months it would be an idea to replace it.
qldit. by the way I am in Brisbane Queensland and it is almost midnight and 29degs C. too damned hot!

uniqunezz

Gee i must be what you consider a pest by now....and i wish i were there with you...Im in Nova Scotia and although it should be -30 in January it still is NOT warm,
I cannot acces "setup" when it boots cause with my great luck...i can select the option but my son has a password on it --the keyboard will not respond at this point. If i boot with a boot disc i can navigate anywhere i choose--DOS style

uniqunezz

Do you suppose i could hurt my hard drive by trying it in his copmuter to see if it resonds the same

Wow you are far enough away, I hate the cold! (and the Heat)
Right we can overcome the password witha bit of luck by removing the battery then taking a conductive item and shorting the battery socket connectors. This should deplete any charge in that circuit and with luck clear the password.
Leave it shorted for a minute or so, then you can put the battery back in.
Then try rebooting and starting again. that process should have cleared the BIOS.
and you should be able to get into the BIOS (hopefully)
Make sure the power lead is out when you do this.
by doing this we will have lost some settings but don't worry about it.
qldit.

uniqunezz said:
Gee i must be what you consider a pest by now....and i wish i were there with you...Im in Nova Scotia and although it should be -30 in January it still is NOT warm,
I cannot acces "setup" when it boots cause with my great luck...i can select the option but my son has a password on it --the keyboard will not respond at this point. If i boot with a boot disc i can navigate anywhere i choose--DOS style
No it is interesting trying to see what happens with some of these machines.
That certainly is an odd problem usually I would expect a real keyboard error to remain. It will be interesting to see what that "Halt on " is set to, actually clearing the BIOS may even clear the problem.
qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online