Any operating system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
uniqunezz said:
Do you suppose i could hurt my hard drive by trying it in his copmuter to see if it resonds the same
I doubt very much that the problem could be caused by a hard drive. When I say doubt I actually mean it is impossible that it could cause it, but having been proven wrong on the odd occasion I modify everything to "I doubt"LOL
I might turn in, I will catch up later.
Cheers, qldit. 0100, 29 degs C.

uniqunezz

{{{Right we can overcome the password witha bit of luck by removing the battery then taking a conductive item and shorting the battery socket connectors.}}}

other then taking out the battery--i lost you

Good Morning there, well done, if you enter the first listed item in the BIOS area, the first page of the BIOS (usually) you will see the various drives mentioned in a tabular form if they are present, Primary master, slave and Secondary Master and slave, below that there is usually a floppy drive select A&B and that stuff.
But below that there is usually another small area "halt on all errors" or words to that effect, the instructions or legend on how to navigate and select alterations are usually on the bottom somewhere, so navigate your active box to highlight the "Halt On" line and then you will probably have to use your + or - keys on the numeric pad to change that selected entry. It has a number of prewritten selections that change by key manipulation. Change it to show 'Halt on all but keyboard"
Then hit the escape key, that will get you out of that area, navigate to save and exit and select yes if asked.

You will become expert in no time. (I hope you BIOS looks something like this!!)
Your system may be different so I am guessing a bit.
This action saves the setting instruction you have entered and the machine will follow your command as it boots or attempts to boot.
The chances are that clearing the BIOS may have disabled other system functions remains but our interest at this point remains with the keyboard error.

Reboot and see if the keyboard error problem remains.

Note any messages if there is a problem.

Cheers, qldit.

uniqunezz

I missed you but i suppose you had to sleep;) Hope you slept well....
The Bios is different, i cant find that but i reset default and i seem not to have the keyboard error at this point BUT i do have a new problem or maybr a problem i didnt know....It goes like this.....
Start computer.....
boots to the part that makes you choose xp or windows and then puts up the big screen saying that windows didnt start properly and suggests that i "boot windows normally.....
At this point the pc reboots and does the same thing again and again and again.....
i took the plunge last night and switched both hard drives. Iam using the drive out of his pc as we speak. My hard drive in his computer does the exact thing as described above.....
Any ideas ?........

Good Evening uniqunezz, restless sleep, ceiling fan flat out, a bit cooler today.
Your description is as though the operating system has been loaded on a different machine or has a different operating system already loaded.
The easiest way to address this is probably to clean the hard drive off completely and then do a clean install from the beginning. Does that hard drive contain anything important.
If this may be considered i suggest getting a Madboot floppy disk image off the net and making a boot floppy with it.
If this is done the drive can be re-fdisked, reformatted as fat32, scandisked for surface integrity and then clean loaded with the operating system.
Does this make sense to you?
qldit.

uniqunezz

I do understand the concept and i will take your advice as you have not steered me wrong but i do "have to understand" so please, humor me.....
i tried formatting and installing windows on the old computer and had to bypass files and got error messages.....upon installing windows on that drive in my pc (which worked perfectly) ....if i re-install win on the old drive in the new computer, wont i end up with the same problems? And i m a little foggy on why both hard drives work in my pc and not the old one....

I suspect much of your problem confusion begins with the operating system install. When installation begins, it selects specific software components for the machine it is being loaded on.
Most often that software loaded to that hard drive is uniquely selected for that machine.
So swapping drives and expecting operation is out of the question, in some odd cases they may work, but more often than not they either don't or have erratic operation. There are ways around this but it is better to do a clean install on each machine independently to avoid problems.

With the hard drive that contains some other sofware there is a chance of some virus or other problem that will affect the mission at hand or affect anything being loaded over the top.
So going back to square one and folowing a step by step procedure is the best way to achieve a better result.

The hard drive has a first area on it that often may be corrupted, so beginning by using the F-disk program restores the basic drive information for the beginning of the procedure.

Once the drive is f-disked (the partition size and other information is restored) then it may be formatted, this generates areas on the drive for information storage.
Using a MSDos type has other benefits at this time. (default)

Once it is formatted, the scandisk program can be run, this checks the drive file system and other things, it will then ask if you would like to do a surface scan.
This checks the drive surface integrity and gives a visual representation.
This is useful and provided intelligence as to whether the drive is worthy of consideration for use.

The next thing is to consider which operating system you will load, some have different requirements. In that we have and are using the Madboot floppy disk
(this is a technicians tool) we have simple mouse commands to initiate thesystem load.

Are you with me? (this is provided that everything is going to work)
Notice that we are not directly loading a system to an already loaded drive but using the step by step basic method.
Qldit.

uniqunezz said:
I do understand the concept and i will take your advice as you have not steered me wrong but i do "have to understand" so please, humor me.....
i tried formatting and installing windows on the old computer and had to bypass files and got error messages.....upon installing windows on that drive in my pc (which worked perfectly) ....if i re-install win on the old drive in the new computer, wont i end up with the same problems? And i m a little foggy on why both hard drives work in my pc and not the old one....
Your mention here that you had to bypass files is often caused by a CDROM that is misreading, this happens with older units that are slowly dying.
This often needs to use a decent CDrom to do the load then it can be returned to normal. Don't attempt to load an operating system with a dying CDROM like this.

You may need to temporarily use the cdrom from your machine to do the load in the old machine. I regularly have to do this, the old CDROMs still play music but you understand the thing is unreliable as a data transfer unit.

Only load an operating system in the machine it will be using.
qldit.

I have just checked the madboot download site, it seems they have re-hashed it and you will need to register to download the free disk image.
http://www.madboot.com/component/op...ion=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=13&Itemid=28
This remains a free site but you will need to do the User-Name/Password thing.
This will give you immediate email confirmation and you will be able to download that image. Get the ordinary Madboot file, I think this is the more useful one.
(there is a Madboot W-98 file also)
If you can obtain this file and prepare a decent floppy disk (no bad sectors) you can begin the processes.
When you boot from this disk, it will give you a screen with all the tools showing.
Are you with me so far?
qldit.

uniqunezz

Hey there...Guess who
Thank you...that makes pretty good sense....
I have restored all parts and pieces to their original locations and have installed my cdrom to prevent any "preventable" problems....
The boot disk is creating a primary dos partition as we speak....
I will keep you informed....
And thanks again for the insight...im sure you have better things to do

Well done! you obviously have keyboard operation to that point so cross the fingers!
Once you do this basic stuff you will understand so much more, it takes a while but I usually show beginners all this stuff. (I have other programs that do a lot of this stuff)
And everyone needs to begin somewhere, it is a pleasure to give you an idea how to get yourself into trouble!!!LOL.
Dependent on which operating system you may be loading there are a few things worth remembering.
This scanning program needs to have the the drive as FAT system to work, but if you might decide to load W-XP, as the install begins it is usually best to select NTFS when the appropriate screen comes up. This is a different file system which gives better operation for W-XP. (so the entire thing is reformatted again differently)
W-98 uses the system as is.
The satisfaction of observing a clean good drive before beginning is worth all the trouble.
You will note the Madboot disk has a system install button which makes the install easier. The one hic-cup you may experience will happen when the thing reboots in the early part of the install. You may need to alter the drive it seeks to D or whatever, because at that time you would have removed the floppy.
Although you could boot from the CD initially as an alternative, some systems need the BIOS to be reselected to different boot order, so using the floppy as an install start, precludes having to enter BIOS if this happens.
Good Night. advise any problems. qldit.

uniqunezz

Well...!....!...!Well....
I don't know what to say....
I used my your boot disc, fdisked, formatted, it worked PERFECTLY....
Windows XP installed PERFECTLY
all files were successful....keyboard worked through out it all...
I WAS SO HAPPY................TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE...?
YES YES YES
The computer rebooted ...can u guess
KEYBOARD ERROR......
WINDOWS will load (which IS better then before) but you cant navigate anywhere

Ahhhh!

Good Morning, well these thngs happen, either way it is an interesting learning experience, it just becomes a nuisance nothing more.
As was mentioned earlier it is possible that a keyboard controller problem exists.
I haven't had that actual problem that I can remember. Normally if the thing works in DOS it works in windows.
You could try checking that the keyboard plug is properly plugged into the socket, maybe a smidgen of RP-7 or CRC or one of those sprays into the keyboard socket on the back of the machine.

A keyboard scan error may happen if there is a connection problem there.
Maybe one of the pin receptors is spread or distorted.
Have a really close look at them. Use your microscopic vision!
The workaround if you can't determine a problem there is to try a USB keyboard, do you have any USB sockets on the back?

I can imagine your dismay after all that work, one chap had one of those kinds of problems and took his machine out and blasted it with a large calibre gun!
It now sits on the counter in a local shop here. The holes in the case are big enough to stick your "thumb" in. So it must have been a pretty big gun!!
When you understand the problems that can happen you appreciate how funny this is, you can also tell who the computer people are immediately when they see the thing.

If you are a beggar for punisment and wan't to try a different idea, there is a possibility that loading a different kind of operating system may allow the thing to function. You obviously are the type that never gives up!
It would cost hundred of dollars to get this experience you are generating! LOL.
Do you feel up to trying something else?
Cheers qldit.

uniqunezz

What's life without a little adventure?
Whatcha got in mind.

And yes, after all that....if i had a shot gun we would not need be having this conversation.
That i found VERY amusing

Iam in the process of obtaining a usb keyboard....

i just can't seem to leave it alone.....
IT WILL WORK again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!