1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any other way to turn on my Dell Inspiron 1764?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by glamx, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glamx

glamx Thread Starter

I accidentally ripped off a piece of material that connects a wire thing from my laptop's on button to another connector, now my computer does not turn on at all. The thing that connects to the unbotton on my laptop could have been easily clipped back in to ths connector, but my problem is that the connector itself accidentally came off. Not sure what it's called but it's about the size of the nail on your pinky, and if you lift it up, you can easily attach the wire thing to it.

Here's a picture of the what the problem looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/IWKew.jpg
    From this picture, you can see that the wide wire thing connects to a small piece on the computer. The other end of that wire should connect to a similar piece found on the power button (this is the piece that came off).

http://i.imgur.com/N2dT3.jpg
    The piece that came off was connected on the green item with two screws.

My laptop is pretty much broken, the hinges are dislocated and there's a disc problem along with other issues. I just wanted to turn it on somehow, so I could erase all the data in it before selling it for parts. If anyone knows a way to repair it or turn my laptop on some other way, please let me know. Thank you.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1764

2. Dell_Amrinder

Dell_Amrinder Account Closed

Hi glamx,

By the looks of the picture, you would not be able to power on the compuer till the time this button is fixed. Further, as you are just looking to wipe off the data before you sell off the parts, you can actually take the hard drive out of the computer and use an external casing to wipe it clean by connecting it to another computer.

That would atleast solve the purpose of cleaning your computer.

Regards
    Amrinder D
    Social Outreach Professional

3. BPCS

BPCS

Agreed just remove the drive if your selling for parts, or connect it to another computer and use the manufacturers HDD tools to wipe it. If you choose to wipe it do a few passes at least 2.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice