Any point in upgrading to 64x ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Blackham

I'm running a pretty crappy computer, 86x windows XP.
I just saw that my processor can support 64bit os's. I only have 1gb of ram, but I plan on buying more soon. Would there be ANY advantages of upgrading to a 64bit operating system, or would it just run the same because I only have 1 (or 4) gb of ram?

I also dont have much of a clue about what hardware is needed for 64 bit os's. Would I need to make sure my motherboard is supported as well? any help is appreciated. :D

well, i have just this second upgraded to x64, it is much faster in IE and maybe a bit faster at loading opening up different windows.
The only problem is some older computers do not have the x64bit drivers out. Check before you upgrade.
42bit systems can only make use of 3.25 gb of ram whereas 64bit is pretty much as much as you can fit.

Blackham

"32bit systems can only make use of 3.25 gb of ram whereas 64bit is pretty much as much as you can fit"
Thanks for responding
I only have 1 (soon to be 4) gigs of ram, so would a 64bit system just be wasted on me?

I suggest against upgrading to XP64. There are compatibility issues, driver issues and no real reason to go through the hassles involved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online