Any possible upgrades?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

James0811

I added an extra 4GB RAM to my Aces Aspire E 14 Laptop a while ago in hopes that it would speed it up. I mainly use it for games. I thought I would be satisfied with an 8GB RAM but I heard there are other ways to speed up a laptop. It would be easier to buy a new Gaming Laptop but I'm looking if there are any alternatives.

I was also recommended by a friend to buy an External SSD. I'm wondering if a Samsung T7 is of any help in speeding up my laptop.

I hope anyone can help me on this one. I'm really opposed to the idea of buying a new Gaming Laptop.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200311080949.000000+480
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (251 GB Free);
Motherboard: Acer AntMan_SK, ver V1.01, s/n NBGCP110026330E74A7600
System: Insyde Corp., ver ACRSYS - 0, s/n NXGCPSP0026330E74A7600
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I have also attached a complete scan of my hardware using CPU Z.

Attachments

You need to replace that dog s-l-o-w 5,400 RPM HDD (hard disk drive) with a SSD (Solid State Drive). You will be pleased with the difference it makes.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you're using it for gaming, nothing is going to help with the main hardware specs of the laptop. Not sure what games you're running but you better served by buying a new laptop with a minimum of an i5 but an i7 would be ideal and a dedicated GPU. Unless you really need the portability of a laptop, you get better bang for the buck by building a gaming desktop machine.

James0811

You need to replace that dog s-l-o-w 5,400 RPM HDD (hard disk drive) with a SSD (Solid State Drive). You will be pleased with the difference it makes.
Will it be compatible if I replace my Toshiba MQ01ABD100 with a FireCuda 120 SSD? And how will I go about completely transferring all my files from the HDD to the SDD?

If you're using it for gaming, nothing is going to help with the main hardware specs of the laptop. Not sure what games you're running but you better served by buying a new laptop with a minimum of an i5 but an i7 would be ideal and a dedicated GPU. Unless you really need the portability of a laptop, you get better bang for the buck by building a gaming desktop machine.
If buying a gaming laptop and building a gaming pc was not an option, what possible alternative options might I have?

According to what you posted above:

Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (251 GB Free)
means you are currently using 679 GB of space on your HDD. (930-251=679).

Your SSD capacity needs to be larger than the used space on your current HDD. Personally, I sould go ahead and get a 1TB SSD like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Crucial-BX...ds=crucial+1tb+ssd+2.5"&qid=1596401865&sr=8-4

You can use Macrium Reflect 7 (Free Edition is fine) to do the clone. Here are their instructions for Cloning a disk.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Will it be compatible if I replace my Toshiba MQ01ABD100 with a FireCuda 120 SSD? And how will I go about completely transferring all my files from the HDD to the SDD?

If buying a gaming laptop and building a gaming pc was not an option, what possible alternative options might I have?
You don't have any alternative options. At some point you have to bite the proverbial bullet and get the correct hardware. Throwing money at this laptop to try to get any small incremental performance increase is just wasting your money. The analogy is trying to turn an economy car into a performance car. Sure you can add some upgrades and maybe get some performance out of it. But in the end you're still stuck with a slow car that you just put money into that didn't accomplish what you're looking to do.

Just my opinion as you can choose to follow it or not, but I would stop throwing good money after bad.

James0811

According to what you posted above:

means you are currently using 679 GB of space on your HDD. (930-251=679).

Your SSD capacity needs to be larger than the used space on your current HDD. Personally, I sould go ahead and get a 1TB SSD like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Crucial-BX500-NAND-2-5-Inch-Internal/dp/B07YD579WM/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=crucial+1tb+ssd+2.5"&qid=1596401865&sr=8-4

You can use Macrium Reflect 7 (Free Edition is fine) to do the clone. Here are their instructions for Cloning a disk.
I'll give replacing HDD with SSD a shot then. Thank you for the help.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to your log in post #1, you have THIS Acer Aspire E5-475G 14" laptop which came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

It also came with these hardware specs:
Intel Core i3-6100U 2.30 GHz dual core processor
cpu.JPG
4 GB DDR4 RAM (it supports up to 32 GB)
1 TB (931 GB actual capacity) SATA3 5400 RPM hard disk drive
DVD-Writer disc drive
Intel HD Graphics 520 integrated graphics
gpu1.JPG
NVIDIA GeForce 940MX dedicated graphics
gpu2.JPG
Realtek high definition audio
Qualcomm Atheros 802.11ac wireless
Realtek gigabit ethernet
4-cell 2800 mAh Lithium Ion battery
65W power adapter

-------------------------------------------------

It looks like you already increased the amount of RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB.
If it had a better performing processor, I would suggest increasing the amount to 16 GB.

Switching from a hard disk drive (HDD) to a solid state drive (SSD) will increase speed and snappiness.
Doing a clean re-install of Windows 10 Home 64-bit and getting rid of the clutter and any issues would also help.

That would result in a good laptop for normal functions, but not for quality gaming.

I agree with SpywareDr and zx10guy.
For quality gaming, you need a laptop with faster hardware.

--------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts