1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any Recommendations for a good e-mail program?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gibby26, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gibby26

gibby26 Thread Starter

For years I used Outlook for my e-mail, but about a year ago I switched to Thunderbird. I really like it's features, but lately it's been giving me some fits. One thing is that it won't automatically receive new e-mails. I have to click on the Get Mail button. I think I'm pretty familiar with all the server settings, and have tried several different ones. I have three addresses that send me mail, and I have two of them set so I have to Get Mail to receive their e-mails. But I still don't get mail automatically on my primary address.

Since I've tried about everything I know (including reinstalling the program) to no avail, does anyone have a suggestion for another good e-mail program? I love the junk mail features of Thunderbird, but it's just becoming a hassle. If I forget to "Get Mail," I won't get it at all.

Thanks in advance -
    gibby26

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Gmail....almost foolproof!

You do still need an invitation for it, I have one...

You must private message me, put in your regular first and last name, and an email address where you can get email and I will send you an invite to Gmail

3. JayT

JayT

Did you try going to Tools, Account settings -Server settings and checking the box "check for new messages every xxx minutes"? Btw, in Thunderbird this will only work if TB is minimized to task bar.

4. little den

little den

Try going to www.download.com and have a look at POP peeper. It's a free program and should be compatible with what you have.
    It's good because you can see the mail coming in...so if it's spam or something you don't trust, you can stop it before it gets to your account.
    It also has a visual and audio alert setting.
    And you can set how often it checks for your mail.

Oh, you can read it while it's being held too.

5. i hate ram

i hate ram

i use a program called DynAdvance notifier.. checks gmail, hotmail, yahoo, pop, etc.

i LOVE it because it can check multiple gmail accounts, plus it checks every 1 minute, and since it stores your username/pass you dont have to log into gmail.. mmm

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/384407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice