1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any Recommendations For A New Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robobobo, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robobobo

robobobo Thread Starter

Hey Guys,
    I'm looking to buy a new laptop in the near future,
    I'd preferably like it to be 64 Bit with a good processor,
    A Good Nvidia Graphics Card,
    Not a Mac,
    4 Gb Ram,
    15'' + Screen,

Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

No brand-specific recommendation; but, I will offer this: There are desktop-type and mobile-type processors. Mobile-type processors are designed to extend time on the battery; but, they are weaker and slower processors.

If you are the type who spends a lot of time away from a wall plug, you'll benefit from the extra time the mobile processors will give you. If not, I recommend a full-power, desktop-type processor for maximum performance.

I bought an Averatec laptop a few years ago and was very pleased with it; but, I discovered to my disappointment that replacing its 80-Gigabyte hard disk with a 250 required much more than a simple removal of a door on the bottom or side as with most laptops. I had to remove the whole assembly of the keyboard and all that was around it.

3. robobobo

robobobo Thread Starter

Thats a good point, i would probably be more inclined for the desktop-type proccesor.

More than likely a Intel Core 2 Duo or a Quadcore

4. arknorth

arknorth

Another thing that you might want to do is WAIT. (Unless you're in dire need of one that is!)

With Windows 7 just about to come out, there will be deals hitting the stores soon, especially since Microsoft upped the delivery date for the new system to this October (see the main page for that little bit of news). Vista machines will soon be dropping prices to clear out inventory for the newer W7 machines. Having seen this with past OS upgrades, I would expect the same with older Vista beasts soon.

A-N

5. robobobo

robobobo Thread Starter

Yes I saw that today and I heard about the vista upgrade program

I was thinking about waiting either till 7 comes out or buy before for the reasons mentioned by arknorth ,I don't think there would be good deals about after 7 is released would there? Also would there be new models of laptops released along with 7?

6. arknorth

arknorth

Generally, when a new OS comes out, the laptops are at a premium price, and in many cases, lacking all to make them great (I can't tell you how many laptops I saw when Vista came out with JUST 1GB of RAM and an itegrated video chip, meaning the machine would lag something fierce).

As for Vista machines still around after W7 comes out, well these could be the dregs, the also-rans and the leftovers that were ignored for the better machines that so-called 'bargan hunters' scarfed up before they actually became bargans (CircuitCity Syndrome anyone?). It will be all in the timing. The OS hits the shelves in October. The machines will either come out just before, or soon after. That means the optimal time would be between late August and September (which just so happens to coincide with Back To School, ALSO limiting supply).

A-N

7. Compiler

Compiler

The stats you're looking for are standard notebook. Good set, Core2Duo / 4GB RAM.

What is needed:
    1 - Gaming (don't expect much unless you're planning to spend $1200+)
    2 - Budget

I am a Thinkpad person... they are about the best there is. Strong, hardcore, very little junkware installed, etc.

They have a modernized consumer called the SL-series. For about $700 with what you may need. I've just seen their "econo series" at the store... $600 with those stats. A bit better than their previous 3000... but very no-frills. But comes with XP or vista :)

With 4GB, this SL is about $970. 64bit OSs are rarely installed on notebooks that can't be upgraded beyond 4GB. A 64bit OS will eat more memory than a 32bit OS so 6~8GB is really recommended for that sweet spot.
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...001CC3:&smid=3028784E14494EB697E744B7DC445A1A

As others have said... if possible, wait until Windows7 comes out... or at least in about 4 months when they offer free upgrades to Win7.

8. Compiler

Compiler

It lacks an Nvidia GPU and not a 15" screen.

There are many Notebooks with 15" screens for $500~600. Its the combo of a discrete GPU with 4GB RAM that shoots up the price.

9. robobobo

robobobo Thread Starter

Thanks for all your comments guys,

This is a laptop that will last me for several years hopefully thats why i'm looking for such high specs, also i will be doing quite heavy duty multi tasking with it and would like to be able to do some gaming aswell. I will have around €1250 ( i live in Ireland ) as my budget so about $1700

In relation to 64 Bit, IF you were to have 4gb ram on a 64 bit system, would it be the equivelent to having 2 gb on a 32 bit system?

I would prob end up buying around mid- end august an i can always upgrade to 7 when it's officially released

10. Compiler

Compiler

Thinkpads are among the toughest and well made notebooks. The SL is sexy, but not their best model... its kind of low cost, but has a basic gaming card (about the same as a 7600/8600GT) A gaming notebook will cost about $1200~1500USD. Look at a gateway, Alienware (I think $2000+ USD), but gaming notebooks only last so long. A desktop still wins in that area.

About memory. If a PC has 4GB of RAM. A 32bit OS will only use about 3.5GB of it. Stability is not a problem. With a 64bit OS, it can use 4GB of the memory, but it requires more memory to run since the code is bigger. So it maybe like having about 3~3.5 GB of RAM. With many PCs, especially desktops and high-end notebooks that come standard with 4GB with options to go higher, a 64bit OS makes more sense.

11. robobobo

robobobo Thread Starter

Yes i heard that advantage with 64 bit vs 32 bit about ram usage.

So it appears then that 4 Gb of ram on a 64 bit system wouldn't be bad especially if it has to option to upgrade later on

12. Compiler

Compiler

There is a very good chance I'll be going to Windows7 (I don't like Vista), I currently have 2GB of RAM. I'd be using the 64bit version when I install it... whatever is not compatible with Win7 in 64bit is most likely not going to work in 32bit anyways.

I'll add another 4GB of RAM since its so cheap... but if I had 4GB already, I'd still install the 64bit version.

13. arknorth

arknorth

Win7 does have an either/or system (32 or 64) - it's major selling point will be that it doesn't require the massive 1GB minimum RAM that Vista needs (512MB in a 32bit system), which will allow it to run in a Netbook (replacing all those out there with XP Pro in them).

I tried the W7 Beta in what I call my 'suicide machine' - a Dell Latitude D510 with a 1.7GHz P4M and 2GB RAM. After installing all the Vista drivers (it's supposed to work with them) it ran okay for about 3 hours... then the video driver corrupted. Needless to say, old suicide is running XP Home again.

A-N

14. Compiler

Compiler

Yeah, if I had time - I'd throw together a computer with some parts and give Win7beta a try... but I figure why bother to go out of my way. It'll be the same thing in retail and if its good, it'll be something I'll get when its done.

15. robobobo

robobobo Thread Starter

Just a question on Processors,

I would have a preference for the Intel Processors, Core 2 Duo or a Quadcore

I don't really know much about AMD processors, anyone else have any comments on them?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/832254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice