Any Recommendations for Free Kid Friendly Web Hosting?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cwwozniak

Chuck
I am asking for a co-worker. He has a nine year old son who is into youth sports. The son has a YouTube account where he posts videos of himself and games in which he has played. He would like to receive and share public comments about his videos. YouTube currently blocks commenting on any videos showing minors. A semi-pro player wished to comment on the son's videos and suggested he set-up a website that would allow commenting and then provide links to the site in his YouTube video posts.

Are there any free or very low cost website hosting sites that are kid friendly and allow visitors to only post safe comments while blocking malicious comments and spam? A site that allows a parent to review all received comments before allowing them to be viewed on the page would work as well.

Hi Chuck,
YouTube currently blocks commenting on any videos showing minors
Does that apply to YoutubeKids as well?
Set up YouTube Kids

Twitch is probably not recommended because there are no parental controls but I assume you have read this?
There are no universal chat filters for viewers, but individual broadcasters have the ability to ban hyperlinks and specific words. As such, most of the bigger channels should be devoid of foul language and inappropriate links.
While Twitch doesn't provide a filter for kid-friendly streams, there are many channels known for being appropriate for all audiences. Some examples include
A Twitch Guide for Parents | Tom's Guide

The Twitch Services are not available to persons under the age of 13. If you are between the ages of 13 and the age of legal majority in your jurisdiction of residence, you may only use the Twitch Services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by these Terms of Service.
Twitch.tv - Terms of Service

for Free Kid Friendly Web Hosting?
I'm afraid one just doesn't go well with the other but I could be easily wrong.
It may help if you specify whether it must include web site builder and what is considered "cheap"

I don't know if bing forbids uploading or commenting on child videos but bing videos IMO can be monitored by parental controls:
Microsoft Family Features.
Parents and kids can use Microsoft family features, including Microsoft Family Safety, to build trust based on a shared understanding of what behaviors, websites, apps, games, physical locations, and spending is right in their family. Parents can create a family by going to https://account.microsoft.com/family (or by following the instructions on their Windows device or Xbox console) and inviting kids or other parents to join. There are many features available to family members, so please carefully review the information provided when you agree to create or join a family and when you purchase Digital Goods for family access. By creating or joining a family, you agree to use the family in accordance with its purpose and won’t use it in an unauthorized way to unlawfully gain access to another person’s information.
Microsoft Services Agreement
Microsoft Family Safety

I recommend Blogger or Wix. Both of theese platforms are easy for kids to make a site for free!

cwwozniak

Chuck
YouTube currently blocks commenting on any videos showing minors.

Does that apply to YoutubeKids as well?
I believe that is the case, but will look into it further this weekend.

The Twitch Services are not available to persons under the age of 13.
The son is currently 9 years old, so Twitch is out for now.
It may help if you specify whether it must include web site builder and what is considered "cheap"
Blogger or Wix
I don't think the son wants to build up a custom website, but rather have more of a blog type site that can be personalized. He basically wants a way for visitors and followers (12 of them at the moment) on his YouTube page to be able to post comments about the videos and dad wants to prevent any bullying or comments from potential pedophiles.

I suspect that any heavily monitored and moderated kid's site would be considered too expensive. I will try to find some time this Sunday to see if any blogging sites allow parental monitoring of what gets posted by visitors.

On Blogger you don't really build a site, you just change images text or whatever. Its 100% free and has comment moderation capabilities

1607029676228.pngHere is what the dashboard is like
I've taught my son how to use it and he loves Blogger

Last edited:
@cwwozniak

Check also if bing videos forbids commenting on child videos, I know MS parental controls can handle this in which case MS would likely not forbid comments but I'm not 100% sure because I never used these services.

EDIT:
Yes it says 13 yo. but also possible with parent supervision, so it's not a big deal.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Check also if bing videos forbids commenting on child videos, I know MS parental controls can handle this in which case MS would likely not forbid comments but I'm not 100% sure because I never used these services.
I will need to check into Bing videos and see if parental controls can be set to allow comments to be reviewed before going live.

cwwozniak

Chuck
My co-worker let me know they will use a free account on www.weebly.com for posting his son's pictures and links to his Fb page. Rather than a blog, there will be a comment form that sends the form content to an email address controlled by the dad.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online