1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

any REGISTRY EDITING genius out here???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pfunk_40, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfunk_40

pfunk_40 Thread Starter

hi there everyone,

i am trying to figure out how to eliminate an option from the right click menu "open with" when i right click on an image file. there must be some way to do it!!! please check out my other posting/thread and see that we have made some progress editing the registry...but just can't get this last thing. if anyone has any ideas, please help out. i am hoping that posting over here might catch the attention of a registry editing genius.

i already have a thread going on over at digital photography and imaging, and i hate to start another thread, but this is more of a regedit question... you can take a look at it here... http://forums.techguy.org/digital-photography-imaging/485227-can-anyone-recommend-photo-editing.html[/URL]

please feel free to check out the entire thread, but if you pay special attention to my posts with the screen shot, you'll have a better idea of what i'm talking about.

Attached Files:

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

3. pfunk_40

pfunk_40 Thread Starter

hey whitphil,
    thank you very much for your posting with the link to the article. i am on a different computer right now and won't have access to my other one (the one we've been working on) until tomorrow, but i will DEFINITELY give it a shot. I AM HOWEVER A REAL ROOKIE WHEN IT COMES TO EDITING THE REGISTRY, so i will probably have a couple of questions.

according to that article though, i should be able to perform that function, correct???

i assumed (incorrectly of course) that once i opened up the registry, that i would be able to immediately identify the programs and remove the ones that i wanted to... that of course was not the case. how will i be able to identify the program? please see my other post to see where i got lost. here is a screen shot of what the rededit looked like and the only program that i was able to identify was mspaint.

thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction, and any other help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're not in the right part of the registry. You need to follow the instructions in this section:

Removing a Program from the Open With List

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi pfunk_40,

Goto: http://support.microsoft.com/winxp and in the right-hand panel search window for the knowledge base plugin: KB322756

The webpage referenced in the search will tell you how to backup, edit and restore the Registry using regedit32 or regedit, so just click on the search link found to goto that webpage.

ozrom1e's suggestion of ERUNT is a good one too.

-- Tom

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

8. buck52

buck52 Banned

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice