1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any software that can capture chat that is NOT going through a standard messenger?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by StumpedTechy, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

I have a program that has a chat feature embeded in it. The problem is you can't do any of the copy/paste on the information to get the data from the conversation. Also there is no file on the PC that it logs to. Also the information is sent encypted over the network. I need to find a way to copy both the chatters information (not just the person on the computer but also the person on the other side.) so a keylogger won't work.

The reason behind this is we need to be able to put this information to use. What gets exchanged is site based information that changes frequently and the current waste of time doing screenshots and then retyping out what is sent back and fourth is getting to become costly in time and printing supplies.

Is there any program that will log what is scrolling on the screen to a text file that can be copied and pasted from? I was even wondering about maybe setting the colors to obnoxious colors then finding something that would capture just that colors information then some how OCR it into a text file?

The problem is the chat client isn't supported by the maker - it was an as is add in to an already ancient program. And changing chat systems at this point can't be done without a ton of red tape.

Any ideas? I had thought of those chat logging programs but most indicate they only work with the standard messenger services like AOL,Yahoo, and whatnot.

2. StumpedTechy

Shameless bump.

3. StumpedTechy

Shameless bump. I am still looking.

4. Tstright

Tstright

Change to a newer Chat Program?

5. StumpedTechy

Hmmmm as I said - "And changing chat systems at this point can't be done without a ton of red tape."

6. StumpedTechy

Okay another htought I can also capture this all to a video file using something like snag-it or something of that nature... once in a video format can you capture text from that?

7. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

"A ton of red tape" may be easier than this. Take a look at Gmail. It can save chats.

What about maximizing the "chat" window and taking screen shots?

Screenshots will be the only way to get text from a video file.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/586402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice