1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any suggestions for Site Improvement?

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by Drabdr, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Brad
    Mike has been requesting some ideas from the moderators in regards to site improvement, and establishing the potential for growth in the next few years. Thus, as we have been brainstorming, it is a good idea to open this up to the TSG family as a whole.

Do you have any specific suggestions for increasing the member base of TSG? Is there is an area that we could possibly add/perform differently than we do currently?

The Goal: To create a list of potential suggestions to rate according to feasibility, effort, etc. Hopefully everyone understands that not all suggestions can be implemented due to costs and such. However, we would still like to hear them all.(y)

Ground Rules:

1. Please try to make them constructive, and try to offer solutions along with any problem. For example,

"Malware forum needs more helpers". - OK, good.

"Malware forum can increase the level of qualified assistance by addressing three areas.... ". Better. :)

2. Please don't use this as a soapbox arena or venue to air about personal issues. Moderators are human; and make mistakes and such, and enjoy criticism as much as the next person. :) If you really feel strongly about something related to a moderator/moderating that you feel would improve the site, as always please contact a moderator or admin. privately with your concerns.

Do Note: We are considering this thread of fair importance. Off-topic/ irrelevant posts will be deleted.

So that said, let your suggestions be heard!

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Query: when you say "increasing the member base", does that primarily mean increasing the number of people asking for help or the number of people giving it?

3. valis

valis Moderator

merely new members, I believe.

4. Drabdr

First Name:
    Brad
    Good question.

Correct, Tim. Good response.

I would suggest that they work together so to speak. When we have new members asking for help, hopefully we have new members available to provide adequate assistance. After all... this is about people helping people. :)

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I wonder whether the facebook page could be modified in some way to direct people here more reliably. There are always a handful of people who ask questions on that page instead of coming to the site. When I remember to wander round there I tell them that they should be here instead, but being unable to subscribe to that page and get notifications when people post, I don't tend to do that particularly frequently.

6. sepala

sepala

Software Development section need more HELP SEEKERS as well as HELP PROVIDERS. As you can see, some times there wont be even a single new thread for a week.

My suggestions

1. categorize the SD thread into several sections, like JAVA, C++, C#, .NET etc as you have already done in "Operating Systems". This attempt will definitely bring new members to the thread for sure.

2. Facilitate the users copied code with "line number generator". Then the helper can see how many numbers of lines are there, and when we are helping, we can help the user to LEARN by showing the line number where the error occurred.

3. Facilitate the users code with "keyword highlighter" which highlights the keywords in the code in different colours. I know we can't identify all the keywords in all the languages, so at least the main keywords which are common.

7. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Also in terms of more effectively advertising the site (as opposed to making sure it's better when they get here), the official todo list has had "Update the images/badges available for linking." on for absolutely ages. I had a go at some basic changes myself exactly a year ago, but I wasn't entirely sure what the objective was and so didn't do a particularly good job of it. Even so, I know quite a good imaging forum that might get it done if asked. :D

Might that be a useful step in improving our, er, brand image?

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Making TSG more visible when searching Google for computer help would be a good start to recruit more new members.

Searching for "computer help forum" will return TSG on the first page. Take out "help" and TSG goes to the second page. Take out only "forum" and TSG goes to page 6. "Computer problem" - page 3. "Computer problems" - I stopped searching around page 17... :eek:

Although TSG is a very popular forum, with A LOT of threads on a wide variety of subjects, I can't say it's that omnipresent on the Web when I run a search for different types of computer problems I may encounter on the forum. Given that this is probably, in my opinion, the most popular vector for getting people to know TSG, wouldn't it be time to make TSG more visible?

Perhaps we could work on finding catchier keywords to move TSG closer to the top? Or, maybe more site updates?

Any way to get people to come to TSG from Friday's through Mondays too!?! :confused: :( :D

9. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    What about putting a sticky in the Introductions forum or a text box on the registration form to inquire into how people are finding this site?

10. sepala

sepala

OK, any word from Mr. Mike ?

11. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Tech Guy (Mr. Mike) is not monitoring this thread on an hourly basis, nor is he about to make any firm decisions on the spur of the moment. This process is ongoing and all suggestions will be evaluated before any are implimented.

12. sepala

sepala

OK, Thanks for letting us know :)

13. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

How many new joins a week now verses say last year...The problem may not be joins alone..but people fading faster than they arrive.
    IMO some stats are needed for join rate.

Talking about new joins...While I know ads are needed to maintain the site..These ads may be doing more harm than good {depending on the ads of course}
    While the ad choice now may not offer full control of received ads..one may have to switch or run with a select few ads.

Note..I offer this not to complain but as something I see that can be a problem.

Take the ad that one sees before joining..Its states its free here but if you need help fast its 24.95...Now granted thats not exactly what it says...but to a stranger that is how he is going to interpret it.
    That cuts down on rookie joins IMO

On to other ads...experienced users wouldnt touch a lot of these products that are in the ads...Many have had to fix their PC because of these products....They will associate the products with the site.

Only the very experienced and webmasters will know the ads arent site associated....The average joe blow associates the ads with the site.

Would we want lets say guns ads on a church website?........Point made

Atmosphere...its changed in the last two years...sarcastical humor has slid away in the tech and community side...Its that sarcastical humor that makes the place enjoyable..The little jokes and ribbing also in the information given.

Presentation and Navigation...The soft colors are friendly thats good
    The sub menu IMO needs better contrast..as its actually what the new guys should be clicking
    By this I mean...where it says Security, operating systems,software and hardware etc..the colors should bring these to attention...as it is now they look gray which would associate them with archives etc to a newbie.

Lurkers....You will have plenty..as in those that lurk but dont join.
    Do we really want a lurker hitting an ad..that may make him think he will fix his PC..but instead trash it..you can be rest assured he or she will lurk no more and will not make the move to join someday.

Lurkers that didnt get sucked by an ad....Atmosphere is whats causes a join just as much as information.
    A lurker needs to feel comfortable..some people read forums all the time but have stage fright/so dont join and post.

Thats where sarcastic humor and mild ribbing come back in...Would you rather break your "virginity" in a forum that was all business and no pleasure...Which would you feel more comfortable making that first post?

People fear of sounding stupid...there are so many abbreviations etc in the PC {is that pun}:p world a person with a computer problem wont understand them...remember the stage fright.

The site needs to works more towards the atmosphere of "fun" /or the new guy or gal will remain scared.

It appears to be fading probably as a result of trying to change the atmosphere to pick up members?
    Above about covers the tech side suggestion...I have a little time there maybe 3k or 4k posts I think the guys are great..hate to see any drift off.

The community side IMO is suffering very badly due to a series of events over the last several months...participating members have suffered a huge decline...As such when a members logs in there is no one to interact with/thus he dont post...so its a compound problem as this causes less participation / every member that uses the board for discussion is a seed as some of these posts get responses /then the responders also may get responses /the more that is going on the more that will jump in as they will see a post they want to respond to.

IMO I have already touched on the events that have caused the decline in participation with PMs in the past..I wont discuss it here /nor really want to add anything to what I have stated with further exchanges of PMs / as doing such only has the ability to create animosities.

14. Drabdr

First Name:
    Brad
    Good suggestions every one. Excellent post, Brett. (y)

15. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

MOST people aren't willing to pay a dime for computer help. That's why they're coming to the forum or searching Google in the first place... :D

I think this forum offers the fastest and highest reply rate I have ever experienced on the Web! Hey, read my signature...! :D You won't see this on many very popular computer help forums, like... well, I won't name 'em... ;)

Perhaps that's something we should advertise on TSG, especially for new members registering? In the large RED BANNER, something like:

"This is a very dynamic forum, so you may expect prompt replies and assistance from our many highly qualified members. Some more complex issues may require a little more time to get answers but please return on a regular basis for possible fixes or questions we may have for you. Insure that your questions are clear, detailed but concise in order to be read and well understood. If we cannot find an answer to your problem in a timely fashion, Jupiter Support offers 24x7 live support for only $24.95. Click here for details."

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice