1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any way to access "C:\Documents and Settings" directory?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aabb, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aabb

aabb Thread Starter

After my home built Vista PC's boot drive failed I rebuilt the system on a new HDD with XP sp2. After getting the system back I discovered that my failed Vista boot drive was still mountable as a non-boot drive. I can get to most everything on the drive except I can't get to anything under the C:\Documents and Settings directory. I get access denied messages.

Is there anyway to recover anything in those directories?

Thanks!!

2. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

3. aabb

aabb Thread Starter

I read through the 308421 instructions, which lead me to the 304449 instructions ((Disable simple file sharing) - which I followed.

Every directory on the old boot drive now has a security tab EXCEPT the Documents and settings directory. That directory and several others are greyed out, but I can get into all except docs & settings (System Volume Information required me to add my account and provide permissions to get in). Any ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!