Solved Any way to dump Bing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bj nick

I've tried to read up on this, but Bing doesn't seem to want to go away. And I've reached the conclusion that Edge can't be killed either. Anything I can do? I've set default this or that, but it doesn't even seem to let me choose another default browser.....it's Edge and nothing else. Ugh. Any ideas?

You can set your own default browser at Settings > Apps > Default apps, browser catagory.

plodr

Liz
What browser are you using?
When I click the down arrow in my search bar, after the magnifying glass icon, I get a menu. You won't see the down arrow until you move your mouse close to the magnifying glass. One of the choices is to change the search engine. I can change this temporarily using the above step. To change permanently, I have to open Tools/Options then Search (this is in FF) and I can change permanently that way.

In Edge and Chrome
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...h-engine-f863c519-5994-a8ed-6859-00fbc123b782

bj nick

Yeah, I guess it's something that just occurs part of the time.....I checked my settings in Chrome under "search engine" and things are properly set: DuckDuckgo does the address bar, Chrome as browser. Yet I'll still wind up with some windows being Edge or Bing on occasion. I will have to wait for the next time and then pinpoint exactly when either shows up, and report back.

bj nick

Okay, got the gist now: Chrome is default browser, no problem, the issue is that if I use the search area next to START, that means it's Windows 10's territory, so MS will automatically stick Edge/Bing in my face and make sure I use that. Whatever; it's their OS, they can bully me around a little.

managed

Allan
Why not simply type the search item into Chrome's search area ?

bj nick

Good question. Main reason is because in setting up my new desktop and laptop, I've searched for various system settings, locations, etc, in other words for internal stuff. But sometimes they send me out online, and that's when Bing or Edge come into play. Should have figured that out right away but I didn't.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.