1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any way to find out who hacked/guessed my password?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by vetter1, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vetter1

vetter1 Thread Starter

I believe that someone may have gotten into my yahoo account since I tried putting my password in and didn't work. Is there a way to find out the location of the person/computer where it came from like IP address or whatever. I have changed everything so, hopefully it won't happen again. Thanks.

2. jdean

jdean

Tracking down the culprit is highly unlikely to be successful (especially for a Yahoo account). Just be happy that you got your account back, that's what really matters!

3. hewee

hewee

Best to just use a good strong password that is hard to guess.

4. vetter1

vetter1 Thread Starter

I'm pretty much betting this isn't hacking, but I need and want to clarify for a friend. Of course, hacking is wrong, but recently I had something happen to my yahoo account, which thankfully has been fixed. Anyway, is it considered hacking if you know the persons DOB, Country of residence and their answer to their secret question to their yahoo account or is it just pure luck that you know their info? Money better be rolling in for me. Thanks.

5. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

You should continue posting to this thread instead of starting a new one. I've combined your two threads.

Just for the record I agree with hewee, strong passwords!!

6. hewee

hewee

7. vetter1

vetter1 Thread Starter

Hewee, I understand having a strong password, but I guess with my second question...Is it considered hacking if someone had correctly guessed my DOB, zip code and secret question? I'm thinking it was too easy, but I'm curious.

8. hewee

hewee

No it was just guess the password. But if you are guess it to get into someones account to do something when you should not be there then I would say it is called hacking even if you guessed what it was.

Reason to get a good password. But how do you know you guessed the password? Did you say some to the person or just tried it when they was not around. That would be hacking into there computer if they do not know about it.
    You could tell them they need to change it for 1980hewee95680 that is a Weak Password to something more like 1980He*&wee95680 that is a Strong Password and you can make it even Stronger by changing it to 19-80!$_He*_&wEe^95680.

9. Pollex

Pollex

Well, according to Palin, it is considered hacking. :)

I wouldn't consider it hacking, because all it takes is the knowledge to figure out where the information is.

People put all their info on places like MySpace and Facebook, etc, without realizing that with this info, taken to another place, you can get into almost anything without actually hacking.

Hacking, cracking, phishing, etc, are all illegal.

Anytime you access something that you are not supposed to, that is now considered "hacking", even though it is not "real" hacking in this case.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755219