1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any Way to Fix NAV LiveUpdate Error Message?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Galleherjazz, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Galleherjazz

Galleherjazz Thread Starter

First Name:
    Stephen
    Something has screwed up my NAV Live Update. When I run it, I get the errror message "Norton SystemWorks was unable to launch Live Update," and the Automatic Live Update Service has a red ERROR written beside it. Under "More Info," it says I must uninstall and reinstall Norton SystemWorks (2002). I recently had to do this, and it took all day, as uninstalling Norton SystemWorks can be a nightmare. I used the tools, went into the registry and manually removed the files Norton lists, none of which worked UNTIL I did a thorough registry search and deleted all references and files with Norton, NAV, or Symantec. This takes hours and is very dangerous!

I hate the thought of having to go through another uninstall and reinstall of Norton SystemWorks. Is there something I can do to fix this? I ran Norton System Doctor and it seemed to fix a lot of file errors with Norton, but it still gives me that message.

Is there a workaround, or must I go through an uninstall? If I must, is there a place to go with a "To-Do" list to safely and effectively uninstall Norton SystemWorks 2002?

Distressed in New Jersey!

Attached Files:

2. TOGG

TOGG

First thing I would try is to use the Intelligent Updater on the Symantec site to ensure that your copy of NAV can be updated;http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2002021908382713?OpenDocument&src=sec_web_nam

If you haven't done it before, Intelligent Updater gives you an .exe file of the whole database (5.2MB) which you save and then doubleclick to install. If that works you at least know that you're up to date.

I think the 2002 programs are no longer being supported but there is a new version of Live Update (2.5) that you could try downloading and installing in case it restores the Automatic process. If that doesn't work, but Intelligent Updater does, your choice is between reinstalling (or upgrading) your copy of NSW or keeping on remembering to use Intelligent Updater regularly.

PS. Just found this on the Symantec site;http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ws 2000/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=nav&svy=&csm=no

3. Galleherjazz

Galleherjazz Thread Starter

First Name:
    Stephen
    To Togg:

You are a miracle-worker! (y) Yes, I went to the Symantec website and downloaded and installed the latest Intelligent Updater, and this repaired my "injured" Auto Updater! I ran the Updater and installed the latest definitions and everything is humming nicely now.

I only wish I could abide by the wisdom of Lord Balfour in your e-mail inscription! But knowing that there is such kind and useful advice inevitably forthcoming on Tech Support Guy forums, I can rest my anxious and weary head! Togg, you saved me the aggravation and possible tedium or reinstalling SystemWorks. I owe you and others like you on this INDISPENSABLE website a sincere thank you.

I only hope I can return the favors received here.

This thread is closed, as far as I'm concerned.

4. TOGG

TOGG

Good to know you're OK now.If you have any spare cash, send a donation to help maintain this great site.

Whether or not you can donate, stick around and see if you can help someone else, because that's the way this works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice