Any Way To Get Both The Phone and The Phone Service I Want?

bizwiz2

Hi,
I find it frustrating that so often the phone that I want is not available with the service I want.

Right now I want an LG L322DL Android. It's available through StraightTalk. But I want to use Hello Mobile service. Straighttalk will unlock it, but only after it has been with them for 12 consecutive months. is there some way around this?
Thanks.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Does Straighttalk offer any kind of early termination option for any of their plans that include that particular model?

Straighttalk will unlock it, but only after it has been with them for 12 consecutive months
No....that's not how straight talk works. The whole point of Straight Talk and services like that is that there are no contracts and is on a 30 day service. The phones are sold as unlocked so they can be used with different carriers.

Buy the phone you want from straight talk and use the service for 30 days and let the service expire. Then take the phone to Hello Mobile and activate the phone with there service either keeping the phone number or changing it.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The phones are sold as unlocked
From the sound of the TOS page on the Straighttalk website, some or all phones are sold locked.

https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/h/legal/terms-and-conditions
VII. STRAIGHT TALK UNLOCKING POLICY

For Customers with Straight Talk Phones Capable of Being Unlocked : Straight Talk will provide an unlocking code to customers who request unlocking, provided they meet the following conditions:

(a) Customers must request phone unlocking. Straight Talk will unlock phones of current and former Straight Talk customers without charge. Non-former customers may request unlocking, but Straight Talk may charge a reasonable fee.

(b) The Straight Talk phone must have been activated on Straight Talk Service for no fewer than 12 months with Service Plans redeemed in no fewer than 12 months.

(c) Customers must possess a Straight Talk phone that is not reported stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity.

(d) If a customer in good standing requesting phone unlocking is deployed as military personnel, upon provision of deployment papers, Straight Talk will honor that customer’s unlocking request.
I stand corrected on asking about any early termination fees. There is no contract to terminate and the TOS do not give any option of buying out before the end of a 12-month activation period.

Wow....you learn something new everyday. Back in the day it wasn't like that. New times new changes I reckon. Thanks for the correction.

bizwiz2

What does this part mean?
"Non-former customers may request
unlocking, but Straight Talk may charge a
reasonable fee."
Who are non-former customers that want to unlock a Straight Talk phone? Are they people that bought a ST phone but never used the service? If they can get it unlocked for a fee with 0 months of service, couldn't a customer with less than 12 months of service get their phone unlocked for the same fee? Or are these non-customers someone else?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer and the following is just my personal opinions. It is not legal advice from me or this website. You should discuss with a legal professional any actions you may consider based on my opinions.

Who are non-former customers that want to unlock a Straight Talk phone?
They could be someone who obtained the phone from a current or former customer. It could have been as a gift, purchase, or trade.

I read the "provided they meet the following conditions" part of the terms suggests that item (b) still applies even if a non-former customer requests unlocking. If the customer that sold the phone with less than 12 months of active service to someone else, the buyer may be on the hook for completing the 12-month commitment before they can get it unlocked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online