1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any way to restore my documents and desktop from Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xeferil, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xeferil

xeferil Thread Starter

Hi,

I just made an installation of Windows 7 Home Premium 64x from Vista HP 64x
    I did this case I got an error on the Vista OS and I was already wanting to upgrade
    the problem is that as I couldn't get to the running windows I didn't do an OS upgrade but I had to run the installation from the 7 disc
    This installed a clean version of OS in the same partition Vista was installed.
    The installation said I will have a windows.old folder with the previous OS data.
    I do have that folder but I don't have the desktop or documents from the vista user and I lost all that data :(
    Do you know of any way to recover my previous data? Any tool that can help me on that? or any method?

Please help me if you know the way :)

thanks

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Try Recuva... it might be able to recover your items.

I have had great luck recovering documents and images from drives reformatted sometimes multiple times.

And Recuva is free.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I thought that windows.old folder contains the entire file system. What is in it?

See page 3 of How to Upgrade to Windows 7.

EDIT: Not "entire file system" but rather "all the Documents and Desktop for all users."

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Folders that were on C drive should still be there and did you go into ", "Windows Old", "Users", "You" and then "Documents" etc.

5. antech

antech Banned

Does'nt windows.old include only the files in "windows folder"?
    Your documents may be in the user folder though.
    User -->Your User Name -->Documents etc.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, it doesn't. It includes data and configuration files as well.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    BUT, the OP said that they could NOT find this "Windows.old" folder.
    If it is NOT there, then ALL files will be lost and NO recover program such as the one listed above will be able to find any of the users files.

8. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

A clean install will not have the windows old... but you can still recover the files sometimes. Programs like Recuva ingnore the header saying a sector is blank and can sometime read deleted files. I have had hard drives that were Windows, completely reformatted and Linux installed and then reformatted and Windows installed and still have been able to find files from the original OS.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sorry that just is not true. A clean install with Vista or Windows 7, where there was another version of Windows on the hard drive, will save any folders and place on the "c" drive and all the Windows folders, the latter get placed in "Windows Old" folder.

10. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

With a format and clean install?

11. manny17m

manny17m

A clean install will format the selected hard drive and install the new OS. Windows.old folder will not exist. An upgrade to windows 7 would have left the windows.old folder. Your best bet is to use recuva. I've also been able to recover data from old OS. Goodluck.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes that is when they do do it!

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Also wrong!
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/c522df8e-a036-4316-a58e-434b206dd1e8
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971762
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...p/thread/68cf0238-8528-4333-8c93-9a93f23c5efc
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista-Windows-old-47133.shtml
    Let me know if those are enough urls's?

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I think there's some confusion over what the definition is of a "clean install". Obviously formatting the hard drive before installing Windows of any version will not create a Windows.old folder. Doing a custom install is similar to a clean install in that it is not an in-place upgrade. All programs and data no longer exist in their original locations but instead are moved to the Windows.old folder.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice