1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any way to retrieve data from a broken hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leesher, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leesher

leesher Thread Starter

About a month ago I broke my laptop's hard drive. I was wondering if there was any way to retrieve files from my broken hard drive because it has some important memories on there. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista and I would start up the laptop, the Dell logo would appear and after that, the screen is just blank and does nothing. My father knows someone who was able to fix my hard drive before, but I'm not sure if it's even possible to retrieve my files because there's no way to log on or get anywhere besides the boot menu. Is there any way to fix this without spending crazy amounts of money or am I out of luck :confused:?? Also, if I do have to take it somewhere how much does it usually cost? I have an external hard drive that I could put the files onto, it's just a matter of getting them on there.

2. nattybumpo123

nattybumpo123

It's rumored that putting the hard drive in the freezer for a while will temporarily make it work. It usually won't last long, but long enough to get important files off of it. What do you mean by broken?

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If the drive is still functional ... (spinning) ...
    It may be possible to connect it with a USB Adapter to a computer .. And read the data that's on it.

This is assuming the drive is still good but the operating system is corrupt.
    It all depends on what you mean by "Broken"

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sure you can recover data, it is just a question of cost. A simple recovery when you can access the drive usually starts at $100 or so and goes up from there. Sending the drive to a shop for disassembly and having the platter read becomes very expensive.

It does you little good now however we have a saying; Data you do not backup is data you do not care about. All drives fail, it is only a question of when your drive will fail. With an image backup of your hd, it would be a very simple matter to install a new drive and restore the image. Done in about 10~15 min.

5. leesher

leesher Thread Starter

Well, when I turn it on, the hard drive makes all kinds of noises and then the Dell logo appears and after that it turns black. The screen's still on it's just a blank screen.

6. Hughv

Hughv

Noyb has the best idea. Get the adapter (They come in very handy) remove the drive and attach it to another computer to try retrieving your files. That kind of noise makes this unlikely, however.
    New drives are well under $100.00 and are easy to replace.
    Congrats on being the 1,000,000,000th person to learn this valuable lesson about backing up.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/882659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice