1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Any way to transfer MS Office without registration info?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by GreggIllinois, Nov 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. GreggIllinois

GreggIllinois Thread Starter

My sister never registers anything. She bought MS Office for a computer and now she's replacing that computer but has no MS account etc. Is there any hope for transferring this? (It is a totally legitimate MS copy.)

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    All she needs to do is use the same method that she used on the old machine.
    Most likely a CD or a download (if 365).
    If 365, then all she needs to do in to log in to her MS account ate the 365 site and she can install it from there.

If from CD, then she needs to find it and the Key Code.

GreggIllinois likes this.
  3. GreggIllinois

Thanks Dave. Last I asked her she didn't even know if she had a MS account. I'll log into https://www.office.com from her computer and see if it recognizes her with a 'welcome back' screen and a sign in button. Maybe we can connect that way. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I hope it works. (I'm sure she doesn't have the CD.)

4. britekguy

britekguy

Depending on the age of the version of MS-Office, it is still downloadable from Microsoft. I'm guessing that 2010 would be the oldest, maybe 2013, that would still be able to be downloaded.

Even if you download the install media, you must still have the key in order to install it. And if it was a single machine license, even if you've removed it from the original machine, you'll probably have to involve Microsoft tech support to get it installed on another machine (unless it's a very recent Office like 365 and connected to a Microsoft Account that you also used linked to your Win10 User Account).

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  6. GreggIllinois

Thanks Brian (I finally saw your name lol). My sister has Office 2016. I clicked on her account (in Office 2016) and it said "product activated" and showed she had Word, Excel, Power Point and Notes and there was a box under that that said "Change License." I wonder if that is a way of getting the key? I'm a little doubtful because when we logged into her MS account (which she hasn't been in in years) it did not show anything as a "subscription" and I thought it had to show there to be transferable.

It was probably back in 2016 so I'm not sure, but I think she purchased and downloaded MS Office 2016 from Amazon.

7. GreggIllinois

Thanks Couriant. We went to the MS site (which seems to be the same as your link) and it didn't show Office 2016 as a subscription. (I think she purchased it via a download at Amazon.) Would that mean she couldn't transfer it?

8. britekguy

britekguy

You can get your license keys for your installed products using a utility such as Belarc Advisor, Lazesoft's Windows Key Finder, or similar. That includes MS-Office, among many others.

9. GreggIllinois

Thanks Brian. I remember using Belarc Advisor years ago. Great program. (But I didn't know it could find keys.) Thanks for the links too.

10. GreggIllinois

I got the Belarc but found only the last five digits of the key for the Office 2013 that's installed. I wonder if I can do anything with just the last five digits? Belarc said the full product key is not stored in the computer. They say go to MS office.com and you can click on View Product Key link and see the full key. But we've gone to MS office.com and there's no info about the key (probably because she didn't register the Office with MS when she bought it.)

11. britekguy

britekguy

Did you try the Lazesoft utility? It finds the MS-Office 2010 key on my system.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, so it sounds like she has the ProPlus ("offilne install", not the 365 option) so the CD-Key should be with the CD.

I think MS changed it after 2013. I don't think Belarc can see most new MS products.

To confirm, she has 2013, or 2016?

She may want to check emails around the time of the purchase if she has it as they may have been a follow up email with the key.

Just out of curiosity, does she work or go to a school?

13. GreggIllinois

Thanks Brian. Ugh. I ran the Lazesoft exe, and VirusTotal (Yandex) came in with Trojan.Agent!0KjJHg800Qc
    It was the only one, and I re-read my other post about False Positives but still, I'm so hesitant to use it on someone else's computer. (The Belarc scanned 100% clean.) So I scanned the Lazesoft site url (from the link you gave me) in VT and that Hybrid-analysis site. The site came out 100% clean. And I did the sha256sum check and the numbers matched. Still, I can't seem to pull the trigger and run the file. Maybe when I sleep on it. (I can't figure out if I'm just being prudent or over cautious. Maybe I'll have to run more files with false positives and when the sky doesn't fall on me I'll be more comfortable running them. I did run that yWriter7 file but that was on my computer.)

14. GreggIllinois

Thanks Couriant. The thing is I'm pretty sure she just got the download version and not the actual CD. (She has a CD for MS2010 but it's not what's on her computer.)

And sorry for the confusion. There are two computers to be upgraded to Win10, so I'm looking to find the keys on one computer for Office 2016 and the other computer for Office 2013. Neither is the 365 subscription model.

Thanks for the suggestion about the emails. I will tell her about that.

And basically "both" to your question about student or work.

15. britekguy

britekguy

Only you can make the decision about whether you want to run something or not.

But if you persist in allowing single detections dissuade you, you are going to have a long, hard row to hoe because they are not at all uncommon. I will simply refer you back to Cookiegal's comment that followed-up one of my own in regard to lesser known engines throwing positives when all the major ones do not.

There are things that are in use on my system, or whose installers are kept in my personal archive, that ended up being flagged years after they were originally acquired. If they weren't infected before, they're extremely unlikely to become so spontaneously. Every time I report the false positive and so far, to a one, the folks doing the scan who incorrectly flagged something update their databases such that it is no longer flagged.

Majority truly does, and should, rule if you are using any site/utility that utilizes over 50 scanners and you get one or two positives and a slew of negatives. Take the time to report what you believe to be false positives before you ever make your decision and you'll very often have a response from the folks who make the scanner very quickly confirming a false positive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice