1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any ways to speed up broadband connection?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jack-o-bytes, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I am not a common poster in the network/web side of this forum. I was wondering if there were any well known ways to speed up broadband connections? I am on a BT home hub in a new build house. The wire comes in at the side of the house and then travels down 1 of the pairs of wire in a Cat5E cable through the house to a phone socket. It then goes into my BT home hub. They predicted 7.5Mb in the area that I am but I am only getting 1.9Mb. Is there anything that could be causing the slow down that I could solve my self?

Thanks in advance, Jack

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Are you using DSL?

Peace...

3. jack-o-bytes

Yeah I think I am, I have ADSL filters? However the broadband has sped upto 7Mb now which is still 1.1Mb under what the BT Home Hub is reporting as the downstream speed. Any idea how to free up that extra 1.1Mb? If it isn't possible then I am not that bothered.

Thanks, Jack

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Yep, sounds like a DSL connection. I believe the advertised downloads aren't guaranteed, so if you're within a Mb of the advertised download speed, you're doing pretty good. Distance is one of the things that can impact the performance of DSL. If you can keep the DSL modem as close to where the phone line comes into the house, that might help.

6Mb/s should be more than enough speed, unless you're downloading Hollywood films as they film them in HD or something. :)

Peace...

5. jack-o-bytes

Yeah it is all OK now :) I looked into the hub information and it said downstreem 8.1Mb but I was only getting 1.9Mb at the time but now it has raised upto 7.2Mb so it is all OK now :) Thanks for the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice