1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any XP speed tips?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Captain, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Captain

Captain Thread Starter

I am running a Dell 2400 2.2 with 128mb ram. Is there any good speed tricks for this setup? I have already disabled most unneeded applications. I plan on a memory upgrade soon but am looking for some help in the meantime.

Thanks,
    Kurt

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

About the best you can do is to trim the processes. It don't get much better than that with XP. You may try updating the drivers. Also, try finding out what brand hard drive you got, sometimes when a PC ships the hard drive isn't at it's fastest DMA setting, the manufactuer sometimes has a utility disk that can set the drive for a faster DMA.

Also, lower the color depth of the vid card to 16bit.

3. *ne0n*

*ne0n*

Lower your color depth like he said to 16-bit, run in a 800*600 resolution. Type msconfig in the run prompt and click on Startup. There disable just about everything, even your anti-virus stuff. You can always re-load those later. I would suggest finding a nifty little program called Tune Up Utilities. It's free for 30 days, and walks you through fine tuning your computer for maximum performance.

However, why you have that fast of a processor with only 128 megs of RAM is beyond me, but a memory upgrade would definitely be the most optimal at the moment. I just bought 1 gig from newegg for $160, so memory is VERY cheap at the moment.

4. dzones

dzones

Only Dell and a few major manufacturers would let a system with 128mb of ram be sent to the public.
    The only way to speed your system up will be to add more ram. Windows xp requires a minimum of 128mb. often times these pc's will even used shared memory allowing only 96mb for windows.

Get your memory upgrade asap and you will be much happier.
    Dave

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

Running 16bit on the desktop no longer helps speed up the desktop... this was more important in the OLD days (Windows95 era and older) when video cards were strickly 2D and came with 1 - maybe 2mb RAM... first AGP cards were 4mb.

But nowadays, 24/32bit desktop video is quite fast. if anything, dropping down to 16mb SLOWS down Windows as the OS attempts to dither/convert 24bit data down to 16bit.

I noticed this about 4 years ago with a TNT2 video card... found that 16bit desktop was slower than 32bit.

6. scmazter

scmazter

Also, if you have too many fonts (I'm talking more then 100 or so) if the fonts directry in windows it can slow windows down, try deleting some that u don't need.
    Run disc cleanup to free space, defag so everything will load faster and scandisc so no errors will happen.
    And download a registry cleaner and clean out your registry, that will speed windows up too.

7. suesman

suesman

Black Viper is the best XP tweaking site I know of. After doing alot of the suggestions on the site, I reclaimed a full 50megs of ram ( average ) & something like 20-30% of resources. My boot time is 18-25 seconds now compared to the 1:00+ I was getting.

Everything is explained in a way that anyone can do these simple tweaks. As always........backup backup backup.

8. GeekGawd

GeekGawd

More RAM, yes definitely. 128 not enough for XP. i agree on that one too
    You can also try increasing virtual mem.
    right click on My computer>properties>Advanced tab.Click on Setings against performance. Click on Advanced Tab again.
    At the bottom against Virtual Memory click on Change.
    Select custom size. and in minimum put 1.5 times the RAM you have. Max size put in 3 times your RAM. not hard and fast. but this is what I have been using and have read on sites.

Click SET. and OK and all that stuff to apply the settings. Do not restart the computer yet.
    Now go to Start Run > type msconfig click OK.
    Then click on the System.ini tab and look for teh entry "386enh"
    click on that and click on NEW button.
    Add there "MINSPS=64" without the quotes. click outside that box, so that the value gets set and click on Aply and ok.
    Restart the computer when prompted. and see how ths works

what you did was increase the page file size and stack size. it does help at times.
    You can always backtrak and remove these changes.

~Gg~

9. manishkul

manishkul

dissable unnessary services which u dont want or make it manual.
    like alert,help,messanger etc.
    Also disable in msconfig which is not required.
    also adjust setting in my computr properties,advance,adjust for best performance,disable remote connection , restore etc.
    u will get better performance in 128 mb ram also

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice