1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone any good with Outlook 2007 Rules (includes hotmail)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by gibbs1984, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Thread Starter

Hi,

I've put my Hotmail account through my Outlook 2007 but it shows up as a separate account instead of in the Personal Folders, fair enough but I can't edit the sub-folders (or create them) in that account so I've moved all the sub-folders to the Personal Folders.

So what I've done is set up a rule from my Hotmail account inbox which should forward any e-mails to my inbox in my Personal Folders account but I've just sent an e-mail from my work e-mail address and it pops up in my Hotmail account and doesn't forward to my inbox in the Personal Folders account.

Hopefully that makes sense, can anyone help with why it's not forwarding or any better solutions of what I'm trying to do.

The rule is:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
    through the [email protected] account
    and on this machine only
    move it to the inbox folder

Thanks.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi gibbs1984

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Are you using the Outlook Connector to bring Hotmail into Outlook 2007?

Does your Rule point to the Inbox of the correct Personal Folders?
    Or, is it pointing the message back to the Inbox of the Hotmail Personal Folders?

3. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Thread Starter

Thanks for your response EAFiedler,

Yes, I used the Outlook Connector which worked fine, I can access my Hotmail e-mails and folders fine within the structure of the Outlook accounts but there are restrictions on adding sub-folders to that account and my inbox appears half way down the list of folders which is annoying (when I get home from work I'll post a screenshot).

So I thought I'd forward my mail to the Personal Folders inbox so that I could create sub-folders etc making it easier to manage, now I've moved all of my folders to the Personal Folder account they're not appearing in Hotmail through the browser, assuming this is because they're not pointing there.

My Rule points to the Personal Folders inbox which I selected when given the option and shouldn't be pointing back to the Hotmail inbox but it just doesn't forward the e-mails on.

Is it possible to forward e-mail from the Hotmail account to the Personal Folders inbox?

If there is an easier way to manage my folders within the Hotmail (Outlook 2007) account then I'm happy to do that but there's just a lack of managerability within that account.

Again, hope that makes sense, might become more clear when I provide a screenshot.

Regards,

Steve

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

How about you just move a copy? You could always (from withing Hotmail) forward your mail to the other account, although it would then be deleted from your hotmail account (on the server). Been a while since I used Connector though. Also check to make sure you don't have any conflicting rules.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Yes, I too would try the Copy action.

You also posted that your rule Moved messages, then you stated you were Forwarding messages.
    Which action are you actually using?

6. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Thread Starter

Hello EAFiedler & Zack Barresse,

Sorry, it might be my lack of terminology but I've uploaded a screenshot, hopefully that will help with what I'm trying to do.

Either forwarding or copying is good for me I suppose, but if I copy it across does that mean I have to delete the e-mail from both accounts if you get what I mean?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Steve

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Steve, if you're just looking to manage the emails, aren't they already managed in separate folders with the Connector? It's kind of rhetorical, I know it is, but maybe the question should be, why doesn't that work for you?

I don't have Connector installed to test right now either. :(

8. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Thread Starter

Hi Zack,

I wouldn't mind doing that and I can at the moment but I can't create sub-folders within folders and for some reason the inbox, sent items etc appear down the list of folders in alphabetical order like in the browser version (unlike the Personal Folders whereby they're at the top) which sort of defeats the object of what I''m trying to do really, trying to make it easier for me to sort and manage the e-mails, although it's not proving easier :D

Is my Rule setup correctly or am I not doing something correctly within the Connector, I just installed it and haven't touched it since.

Steve

9. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

What I would think of testing for, or researching, is if it is even possible with that application. I don't know that it is. I do know it is very finicky.You should, however, have the option to create Search Folders, which may actually be better for you. They are severely under-used and under-appreciated. I'd suggest looking into them. I started using them and love the crap outta them! :)

10. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Thread Starter

Hi,

So is it not possible to forward/copy mail from my Hotmail account within Outlook to the Personal Folders inbox?

Also, it doesn't create a desktop alert either so I don't know when mail has arrived if I'm not logged into MSN, another pain in the back side :(

Hmm, not really sure about the Search Folders, not sure what it adds to be honest.

Am I just left with having the two account and mainly moving the e-mails across to my Personal Folders inbox? This again leaves another problem because I don't have visibility within the browser version which I'll need too.

Sorry for all the questions and problems I'm throwing up but in this day and age you'd think it was easy and possible to do ;)

Steve

11. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

I am not clear if the action to Move is actually being used in the Rule?
    Did you try switching the action to Copy, instead?

12. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Thread Starter

Me again,

Or for another solution, is it possible to make the Personal Folders account my Hotmail account i.e. set that up with all the settings for the Hotmail e-mail like you would any other e-mail account, like setting the HTTP, IMAP or POP3 etc, would that work?

Hi EAFiedler,

Yep, it actually says now to move it and make a copy, all tests are failing :(

13. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Can you change the rule to only Copy the message? Leave out the Move action.

What operating system are you using?

Are you using Windows Live Hotmail?

14. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Thread Starter

Hi,

Yeah, I can change it to copy only but that didn't work either :(

I'm using Vista Home Premium.

Yep, it's Windows Live Hotmail.

On a side note as I dual boot with Linux Mint as well can you use your Hotmail with Thunderbird?

Steve

15. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

If you have POP and SMTP server settings for Hotmail, it couldn't hurt to try setting it up in Thunderbird.
    I can't answer yes or no, though I would lean towards no.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice