Anyone any knowledge of Scanster?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crispy

I have been searching the Web for some form of software installation monitoring, not because I want do anything illegal, but because my system has been screwed up on occasions by installing certain applications.

I found Scanster from Code-it Software which sounds as though it does everything I could ask for, but...

I went on to do a search for Scanster using google, both on the Web and in Groups, and was a little surprised not to find anything apart from the authors site.

http://www.code-it.com/scanster.htm

Perhaps I'm being over cautious, but I'd like to hear that someone had used it without problems.

Chris P

crispy

I guess the answer to my original post was a resounding NO, but how about any alternative programs? I can't believe I'm the only person here who wants to monitor changes to their system.

Chris P

crispy

Thanks for the links steamwiz, I will check them out, but it's not so much registry changes that I'm worried about. I've had programs that install older versions of DLLs and screw up my system. The video edit package that I tried last week seemed to upset the graphics on my system, so I rolled back to a previous time when all was well. Now I'm wanting to try it again, while hopefully monitoring what is changing.

All the best
Chris P

Hi crispy

I know what you mean now - only the other day I installed an old game and without asking it rolled back directX by several versions - unfortunately I don't know of a program that will stop another program from doing this if it is programmed to do it without asking.

Now that it is absolutely clear what you want maybe somebody will jump into this thread with a link.

steam

crispy

Originally posted by steamwiz:
Now that it is absolutely clear what you want maybe somebody will jump into this thread with a link.
That would be good :D

The annoying thing is that such a program was mentioned regularly in a programming news-group that I used to frequent. Unfortunately I no longer have access :(

Regards,
Chris P

Start>Run and type sfc. Run it before and after an install and it will tell you what the install altered and also warn if it installed an older .dll say. It will even help you get the good one back on the computer.

My computer is Win98SE – might not be on some other systems.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Cruise over to Prism and check the link to WhatChanged or InstallMonitor, they're packages that appear to do what you desire.

crispy

Originally posted by slipe:
Start>Run and type sfc. Run it before and after an install and it will tell you what the install altered and also warn if it installed an older .dll say. It will even help you get the good one back on the computer.

My computer is Win98SE – might not be on some other systems.
Thanks slipe, it sounds good but it's not included with my Win Me. I'll do some Googling and see what comes up.

Chris P

crispy

Originally posted by johnwill:
Cruise over to Prism and check the link to WhatChanged or InstallMonitor, they're packages that appear to do what you desire.
Thanks johnwill, I'll check them out :)

Regards
Chris P

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online