Anyone familiar with photo printers?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

carrie640

We are thinking about getting one, but I am really wondering if they are worth it.

Is the quality really like something you would get from a photo lab?

And what about ink?? Does it suck ink like water?? And is ink expensive in one of these to replace? Our Epson printer is like $25/cartridge to replace (ACK!!!)....

Just wanted to get some lowdown before we buy one!

Thanks!

If you're thinking about buying one because you think it will save you money, don't!

However, if you're thinking about buying one because you think it would be fun and convinient to print your own photos, then I think you will find that HP makes the best printers, both for the cost of the ink and the quality of the prints. You can't go by cartridge cost alone - look at how large the cartridges are, and how much ink the printer uses. They all have page yields, usually rated at 5% coverage... use a ratio of Cost / Page Yield to determine what your best value is. And keep in mind, Epsons use about 2-4x more ink than they advertise (I'd never buy an Epson again because of that).

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd also think twice about buying a "photo specific" printer, and forget about the ones that have a FLASH reader and print directly from the FLASH. They're a PITA, and you don't have nearly the control of the printing process as you do printing from the computer.

I have an aging HP PSC-750 that prints excellent looking color prints on photo paper, and it's an older machine. If you have local stores, go "kick the tires" and look at sample prints from various machines. That's how I selected this printer when I bought it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online