1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone familiar with spysweeper???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by physician, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. physician

physician Thread Starter

My next door neighbor is a software guy and we were talking about internet security along with microsoft, XP, non microsoft options etc. He bleeds microsoft ink. Well, first of all he tells me about the XP fix for the Explorer browser where you can delete session cookies - which is good. He tells me about the Firewall - and I point out to him that it is a one way firewall and it just duplicates his router. I ask him what he uses for spyware and he tells me he is using spysweeper (webroot). He swears by it - says he has had no problems with spyware since he installed. He says it gets spyware and trojans. So of course, I am curious since trojans are really bad out there. I visit the website and it says nothing about protection and trojans. I notice they have a free download - so I figure why not give it a shot. I download, install, update and run. Of course, I have just run adaware SE and spybot 1.4 without any problems - spybot found one item and i deleted it (search4it I think). Adaware found nothing. Spysweeper found multiple entries in the registry for Alexa, a toolbar that I don't have and a sidebar that I don't have. I have felt very confident with the two programs that we all like, but I am concerned that spysweeper found these things that spybot and aaw missed. Any comments and thoughts are appreciated...doc

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Doc, webroot comes with EarthLink and I am not impressed vs. the others we all know.

3. physician

physician Thread Starter

Hi Mike...doc

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice