1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone familiar with this "CNSMINKP.VXD"?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by johnnyleung, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnnyleung

johnnyleung Thread Starter

I try to turn on my computer one day but for some reason the Windows cannot be boot-up. (My OS is Windows 98) What it said is there is one missing file and the file name is "CNSMINKP.VXD". I have no idea what the hell it is, but I tried to skip loading that line and my windows can boot-up again.

I search that missing file in the Google and there are many websites (mostly chinese) have that file for download. There are also indication in those website said that simply save that file in the folder: c:/Windows/system, and the system will work fine.

I tried and it did work. But I really wonder whether it is a trojan. But since I have no choice if I want to fic my computer.

Can anyone help me to check whether this file is a trojan or not. And what I can do to disable that trojan?

Thanks
    John

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Do you have an English version of Windows?

Can you do this, start, run, then type sysedit and hit ok.....look thru the system.ini and win.ini file to see if you can see where it is trying to load from.

3. johnnyleung

HI AcaCandy,

I tried to look at the system.ini and win.ini but cannot find anything related to CNSMINKP.VXD. Do you know if this is a trojan? Should I immediately delete that file I downloaded and saved in the folder C:/Windows/system ?

4. ~Candy~

Why don't you try renaming it, just in case.

You might also try start, run, regedit and do a search for it there.....

5. johnnyleung

This is really strange. I try to find that file in the folder where I saved but I cannot find it. That file is missing? Why is that? What kind of file end with .VXD? Is it harmful?

6. johnnyleung

I follow your instruction and find that file in the registry. What should I do?

7. johnnyleung

In the regedit, the "cnsminkp.vxd" is located under:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU

What should I do?

8. ~Candy~

9. ~Candy~

Could be hidden, do you have your search set to show all files/folders? Normally .vxd files are ok.....but I can't find anything on that one either, and have no idea where it could have come from.

Just for fun, I'd run a virus scan on the system too.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!