Anyone feel like answering this one for me?

powella

Worth a try... *shrug*

Let’s assume that you are the IT Manager for a commercial organisation. This organisation currently has 30 P4 2.6 GHz workstations with 128 MB of RAM and 60 gigabyte hard drives that they lease. These computers are connected to a Windows 2003 server. The workstations are currently running Windows 98.

You and your two technical support staff are very concerned with the lack of stability and security in the current operating system and want to install Windows XP Professional workstation on all of these computers (check your local dealer or sites such as [insert site] for Windows XP Professional Upgrade pricing — SA refers to Service Agreement and allows for future upgrades within the period of the licence). Your task is to manage this new operating system rollout. This is a major project and you are limited by staff and budget constraints. You and your staff currently have only limited experience with this operating system. As a result, your project will need to include appropriate research and testing. It will also need to include consultation with experts, management, users and your staff. In your rollout, you will want to minimise disruption in the workplace.

Your answer to this question should be in the form of a table or timeline (with explanations) to management on the stages and times for this project (you should cover the staffing and costing elements at each stage). Note that the focus is on the process of the changes not the reasons for it or how the technical steps of installations of this software is carried out. The stages/steps should refer to appropriate milestones and checkpoints. It should also include steps involving the approval process with company management.

You DO NOT need to have access to project management software. A well thought out table (or series of tables) from your word processor is all that is required. For example, this table (on a landscape page) could detail the dates on the first row and use shaded cells and labels in cells on the rows below to show the sequencing of the stages/steps (to produce an effect similar to a GANTT chart). Alternatively, use the calendar feature in MS Outlook. Your stages/steps should incorporate the key stages referred to in the life cycle project model referred to in this course. You will need to use your computing knowledge as well as research to incorporate realistic times, allowance for problems and estimated costs. However, we are aware that you will need to make some assumptions about the organisation and its operations - you may like to base this task on a real company and modify the scenario appropriately or alternatively, you can use your imagination to add realistic details to the given scenario.

Not going to answer it for you.

But I will say this:

The scenario is fundamentally flawed. And unfortunately it is the scenario that most company's put themselves in because they enjoy throwing money at a problem rather then fixing it.

Let me put it this way. If I owned a business and you were my my IT manager and you were concerned about lack of security and stability in a workplace environment and then suggested an upgrade to a less secure, less stable OS you would be out on the street looking for another job.

I suggest taking a look into alternatives to windoze for this scenario. It says already that you don't know much about the "new OS" so why not switch things up a bit. It also says you can use your imagination a little bit to make assumptions about the operations that this company needs to preform. I say think outside the box. Unless your instructor is a windoze fanboi I would go for it

powella

Thanks. I didn't really want anyone to do it for me. I just needed a push in the right direction! Thanks for your reply. It certainly gives me something to think about.

Another thought, buy a corporate liscence and disk for 30 systems, then build a slipstrreamed unattended .ISO, burn a dozen copies of it.

All you have to do is start the install, and move on. The slipped disk will do the rest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online