1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone good with Adobe PhotoshopCS?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by PaveFE, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

I've got it and want to do some stuff with photos and whatnot, but the instructions are horrible. If you can help, please let me know.
    In particular, I want to combine two images and I also want to do some stuff with text.

PaveFE

2. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

Hi PaveFE

I don't actually have Photoshop - but what you wish to do is fairly straightforward.

Let's deal with the 1st task - combining images. Do you mean that you have 2 seperate pics/images that you wish to join along the edge, or merge or clips out ofeach image you want on a single image...? Can you let me know please and I shall describe how you do this.

2nd task - Text effects. Again, need to be more specific as to what exactly you want to do. Do you just wish to add text at a certain point? or have some effect applied to some text etc...?

An alternative is to let me know what you want doing, send me the pics and I'll have a quick go for you...!

Your call...

John

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would suggest you go onto google and search for tutorials - there are thousands out there and you will be able to follow any from version 5, 6, 7, cs

4. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

I want to layer the pics, but I can't seem to figure it out (and I've poured through the help section). As for the text, I'm looking to make the letters look like steel (I was following some directions from some website), but the site wasn't very user friendly either. I don't want someone doing my work, I'm here to learn, but thanks for your offer anyways.

5. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

Ok.. sure you want to have a go yourself, no probs...

But I am not sure what you mean by "layer the pics" though!

6. flyeater

flyeater

Check these links out
    One
    Two

The best way to figure it out will be to follow some of the tutorials.
    Your question about metallic text is fairly straight forward but of course it involves all kinds of actions. You'll find plenty of info on text effects.
    See here for instance.
    Layer effects and blending can involve so many variables it's tough to know just what info to give you.
    If you know how to create a new layer and how to paste a new image/selection into that layer your halfway there. You'll find a lot of options for layer blending if you right click the particular layer in the layer palette you'll see "blending options". You can fade layers & add different effects from there.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    http://www.designsbymark.com/pstips/
    steel text

http://webfx.iwebland.com/tutorials.php
    http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials.html#adobe-photoshop-tutorials
    http://www.good-tutorials.com/

its very difficult to advise based on the question as I do not know your level - see flyeater comments - do you know about layers at all.

a good mag with video tutorials available in UK is "Digital Photo" i have been using this mag for 2 years now and have found one of the best ways to learn, as every month I get about 60mins of tutorials to watch.

http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/sto...d=91&id=2193&[email protected]@[email protected]

otherwise give some more detiails of your knowledge and what you want to do.
    ie can you create layers, make selections, clone etc

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Wow, once again TSG pulls through. I was trying to do one of tutuorials, but it was a little above my head and took me forever to do somehting, which didn't turn out so good. I'm good with computers and can usually figure things out pretty quickly, but this one is kicking my butt. I'm still have a big desire to learn new things on my own, so I will check out all the numerous links you guys proviided.

As for the layering, I was able to get one pic as a layer, but couldn't figure out how to get another pic as a layer.

10. loopy in ky

loopy in ky

Hey Pave, I started doing tutorials on the web a couple of months ago and you would not believe how much they helped. I bought a book also but there is nothing like doing it to learn. Some things you just have to practice several times until you perfect a certain technique. I too had trouble understanding the layers. I like the tutorials at good-tutorials.com best of all. I copy and paste them into a word document and keep them on my computer for easy reference. I just open both photoshop and the document at same time and then toggle back and forth between them as I need to follow along. I am really enjoying it! Stick with it. If I can learn this way so can you!

11. loopy in ky

loopy in ky

P.S. I use the book to look up stuff I don't understand in the tutorials.

12. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Sweet, I'll give them a try too. Now though, I need to get some sleep, since I have to fly tonight.

13. flyeater

flyeater

The learning curve is a little higher on PS then some programs but you'll adjust quickly.
    In the mean time here's a list of keyboard shortcuts & some selection tips.

Attached Files:

14. fzuccaro

fzuccaro

I teach Photoshop. It's tough when you have a distinct task you want to accomplish and you have to sift through all the tutorial b.s. but...

An excellent book is Adobe's 'Classroom in a Book'. These are available for Illustrator, Acrobat, etc. Try the Photoshop version. Your library may have it.

I like to go to the bookstore (I'm in a large metropolitan area) and pull every book that deals with the application and start looking through them (no one reads these things).

Another suggestion. Photoshop Elements would have been a simpler choice.

Beyond that, I can answer any questions or attempt to walk you through the process if you want.

FZ

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice