Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone have experience with 802.11a devices and a 802.11n wireless router?

986 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
A friend currently has a Belkin wireless G router and uses a D-Link DGL-3420 gaming adapter to connect her XBox 360 to her wireless network. This configuration works fine but she did have an issue where the connection was lost and the troubleshooting tool on the Xbox 360 recommended using an 802.11a connection to avoid possible interference problems. Apparently, the wireless Xbox 360 controller she uses broadcasts at 2.4GHz, just like 802.11g.

So, I'm looking at replacing her Belkin router with one that supports 802.11a. I see 802.11n wireless routers should support 802.11a/b/g devices but I was wondering if anyone here had any "real world" experience with connecting to a 802.11n wireless router using 802.11a.

Did it work for you? Have any problems?

Thanks!

Peace...

#3 ·
Coolio! :up:

While I've got your attention, I've got another question. I'm debating whether to get a 802.11n wireless router (that will offer some future-proofing) or a used 802.11a/g capable router for cheaper. My friend isn't a speed daemon and as long as her laptop (using 802.11g) and her Xbox 360 (presumably using 802.11a) can get connected to each other and the Internet ok, she's happy.

What other advantages, other than future-proofing would there be with going with a 802.11n router? I mean there wouldn't be any 802.11n devices connecting to it (at least not for the foreseeable future).

Thanks!

Peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.