Anyone have OC settings for Athlon64 X2 6400+ Black Edition?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IMiteBable2help

Looking for anyone who has successfully OC'd the 6400 black edition on an asus board who can send me an asus mobo OC profile for this processor, or any ideas on how to OC this sucker. All attempts at even minor overclocking have failed for me. System is in my specs and sig. I would prefer to know how to OC this thing only when CPU demand indicates the need. I know from my asus manual that this is possible, but I don't have a clue how to proceed. The board manual is not very forthcoming in this matter. The OC settings are explained in the manual by stating the obvious, "this setting, changes this." but doesn't explain what the setting is for. duh. Furthermore, I have found plenty of owners of this processor, but not a single person who has actually OC'd it. Makes me wonder why they got the black edition in the first place. TKS in advance.

crjdriver

OK, first off the multiplier on that cpu is locked so you cannot change the multi. I know most people think the BEs are all unlocked however that is not true. The only way you can OC this cpu is to up the fsb. You can lower the mulit however you cannot up it from the stock 16.

Before beginning, you do understand that OCing voids any warranty and does entail some degree of risk correct? I have one rule [well actually I have many] Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace. As long as you understand that concept and are comfortable with it, we can continue.

The first thing to do is read the manual and become familiar with the bios settings. The ones you are looking for are as follows;
1 PCI-e lock
2 Ram speed or divider [each board maker uses different terminology]
3 FSB setting

Now restart and enter the bios. Set the pci-e lock to 100 not auto. Note some board will also have a pci lock as well as a pci-e lock. If you have this, set it to 33. Find the ram speed and set it to one setting lower than what you have ie if you have 800 ram, set it to 667. Again each board maker uses different terminology; some use the actual speed, others use a multi ie 4X or whatever. Save settings and restart. Again enter the bios and set the fsb up from the standard 200 to something like 210. Save settings and restart. Let windows boot. Now run a stability app like prime95. You must run prime95 for a minimum of 40min or so. If there are no errors, restart and again enter the bios and up the fsb to 215 and repeat the stability. Keep doing this until you find an error in prime95. Once you find an error, you can do one of two things;
1 Backoff to a known stable OC or
2 If you are really brave, you can up the vcore [cpu voltage] and attempt the stability test again.

Once you go above about 230 on the fsb, you will need to lower the HT multi from 5 to 4. The idea is to keep the HT bus as close to 1000 as possible.

Do watch temps since that cpu runs hot to begin with and running prime95 does generate a LOT of heat.

I have that same cpu in one of the systems here however I just run it at stock speed.

FWIW I doubt you will get much in the way of an overclock since that was the last cpu in the windsor line. AMD has gotten just about as much as could be gotten out of the windsor core and I do not think there is much left. You might hit 3.3 or 3.4 however it is not really worth anything in terms of performance.

IMiteBable2help

Ummm... so you're telling me that I purchased the "Black Edition" which is supposed to be different from the regular version, by having the multipliers UNLOCKED, for nothing? I waited and I seeked out this processor specifically to get the black edition. You said you can lower the multiplier but cannot raise it. Is this what is happening when my processor throttles down to 1.2ghz when demand is low? It does this on the fly.

That's what the black edition is supposed to be. Multipliers unlocked. Now you're telling me they aren't unlocked? The info on how to proceed is appreciated. Anyway, heck, this board bios has presets for OCing by percentages and what not but it doesn't work. It only results in "overclock failed" and it reverts back to previous settings. I mean this thing is made for overclockers. It has what they call ASUS AI Non-delay Overclocking. "the ASUS AI Non Delay overclocking system feature intelligently determines the system load and automatically boosts the performance for the most demanding tasks" I like this idea. Occasionally I do very CPU intensive tasks where both cores are at max for several hours. Heat is not an issue since it rarely goes over 100 degrees F. It would be nice if it would go over 3.2ghz at this time to shorten the time it takes to complete the task. Like I said, it already throttles down when demand is low, it's just that it would be nice if it OC'd when needed ONLY.

This is all a bit of a disappointment. Most sources on the web agree that this thing is already clocked near it's limits. When I bought it, I did so not only because this processor is great right out of the box, but because I had planned to OC it later. I was hoping to get perhaps 3.6 Ghz out of it and now I find out there's not much point in even trying it since it's unlikely to go over 3.3ghz. *sigh*

Oh well. I love this machine / processor anyway, just the way it is.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online