Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone help, feels like my laptop is slowly dying

4K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  antech 
#1 ·
Hi, first post here so sorry to get straigh into a problem.

I have an Acer Aspire 5536laptop that I've had for about 8 months. All was ggood to start with, running Windows Vista. When I bought the laptop though it came with a free upgrade to Win 7 when it got releases. So when the disc turned up I upgraded. Again all seemed fine, although it didn't seem to improve the overall speed which I thought 7 might a bit.

At around Christmas my Wife installed an update for Simms 3, which didn't seem to install properly and crashed the game. We uninstalled it and thought everything was ok. However, I'm pretty sure that since that point thins have been getting slower and slower. Particularly when first logging in, it takes an age for the first programme to launch.

Also Internet browsing seems to be getting very slow, particularly after a little while of use. And also the wife has completely uninstalled Simms 3 as it became unplayable it was so slow.

I have Norton 360 which isn't identifying any virus issues. I have also tried system restore several times but it will not work. I get an error saying system restore was unable to complete, blaming the anti virus, but it still doesn't work even when I completely disable Norton.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on where to start in trying to work out what is wrong.

Many thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
From your post I get the impression that things were starting to falter prior to the upgrade to Win 7. If you upgraded and didn't perform a new clean install, you basically repainted an already dented fender. Have you run spyware scans and deleted temprorary junk files? See below:

CCleaner It's free, use default settings.
Malwarebytes: use the free version.

Delete everything that these programs find for malware/files.

#5 ·
I've run CCleaner again and malwarebytes found no problems. I've rune disc cleanup and defrag recently aswell and it's no better :(

There is obviously something amiss other than just a speed thing as no matter how many times I try I can't succesfully run a windows restore.

Thanks for the advice so far, any other ideas?

#10 ·
Hi jonjay,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

First, as others have pointed out to you, sometimes an in-place upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 may cause problems and an overall slowdown of your system. Another factor that can cause this to happen is either a software conflict or an infection. Check to make sure that the Windows Firewall and Defender are both disabled, as Norton 360 is handling these for you and you should never have more than one real-time security application and Firewall running at the same time. Next, manually run LiveUpdate from within Norton 360, possibly multiple times, until it informs you that there are no more updates available. After the updates have been applied, complete a "Comprehensive System Scan" with Norton 360 to check for infections.

Your computer exceeds the minimum requirements for Norton 360 version 4 and contrary to what other users may tell you, Norton 360 version 4 runs very smoothly and does not consume many system resources. For full compatibility with Windows 7, please make sure you are using the latest version, which is version 4.X. If by chance you are using Norton 360 version 3, as long as your subscription is valid, you are entitled to a free update to version 4. To update, please visit the Norton Update Center.

Norton update Center

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi, first post here so sorry to get straigh into a problem.

I have an Acer Aspire 5536laptop that I've had for about 8 months. All was ggood to start with, running Windows Vista. When I bought the laptop though it came with a free upgrade to Win 7 when it got releases. So when the disc turned up I upgraded. Again all seemed fine, although it didn't seem to improve the overall speed which I thought 7 might a bit.

At around Christmas my Wife installed an update for Simms 3, which didn't seem to install properly and crashed the game. We uninstalled it and thought everything was ok. However, I'm pretty sure that since that point thins have been getting slower and slower. Particularly when first logging in, it takes an age for the first programme to launch.

Also Internet browsing seems to be getting very slow, particularly after a little while of use. And also the wife has completely uninstalled Simms 3 as it became unplayable it was so slow.

I have Norton 360 which isn't identifying any virus issues. I have also tried system restore several times but it will not work. I get an error saying system restore was unable to complete, blaming the anti virus, but it still doesn't work even when I completely disable Norton.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on where to start in trying to work out what is wrong.

Many thanks.

#11 ·
Please post a screenshot from msconfig.

Follow the below instructions Carefully:
1. Download HiJackThis from the link in my signature
2. Run a Scan.
3. Save a Logfile(On your Desktop)
4. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING BY YOURSELF.
(Fixing Anything Might cause Unwanted System Instability,BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)
5.Copy and Paste all the contents
6. Paste them in the reply Window

#12 ·
Sorry for the slow reply. I have now updated Norton and all the definitions and made sure the windows f/w and defender are off, and that's made no difference.

Here is the Hijack log file, it did throw up an error though saying unable to access the Host file.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 19:34:27, on 26/04/2010
Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer ePower Management\ePowerTray.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer Arcade Deluxe\Acer Arcade Deluxe\ArcadeDeluxeAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtHDVCpl.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer Arcade Deluxe\Acer Arcade Deluxe\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer Arcade Deluxe\PlayMovie\PMVService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\EgisTec Egis Software Update\EgisUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\EgisTec\MyWinLocker 3\x86\mwlDaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10e.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbarUser_32.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l=0809&s=2&o=vp32&d=0509&m=aspire_5536
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l=0809&s=2&o=vp32&d=0509&m=aspire_5536
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://homepage.acer.com/rdr.aspx?b=ACAW&l=0809&s=2&o=vp32&d=0509&m=aspire_5536
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Symantec NCO BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Engine\4.1.0.32\coIEPlg.dll
O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Engine\4.1.0.32\IPSBHO.DLL
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.5.4723.1820\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Engine\4.1.0.32\coIEPlg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acer ePower Management] C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer ePower Management\ePowerTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LManager] C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\LManager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ArcadeDeluxeAgent] "C:\Program Files\Acer Arcade Deluxe\Acer Arcade Deluxe\ArcadeDeluxeAgent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMLServer] "C:\Program Files\Acer Arcade Deluxe\Acer Arcade Deluxe\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PlayMovie] "C:\Program Files\Acer Arcade Deluxe\PlayMovie\PMVService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Skytel] C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\Skytel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EgisTecLiveUpdate] "C:\Program Files\EgisTec Egis Software Update\EgisUpdate.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mwlDaemon] C:\Program Files\EgisTec\MyWinLocker 3\x86\mwlDaemon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_96D6FF0C6D236BF8.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll,-222 - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll,-223 - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Programs\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Programs\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
O16 - DPF: {444785F1-DE89-4295-863A-D46C3A781394} (UnityWebPlayer Control) - http://webplayer.unity3d.com/download_webplayer-2.x/UnityWebPlayer.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - AMD - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Acer ePower Service (ePowerSvc) - Acer Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer ePower Management\ePowerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LeapFrog Connect Device Service - LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. - C:\Program Files\LeapFrog\LeapFrog Connect\CommandService.exe
O23 - Service: MyWinLocker Service (MWLService) - EgisTec Inc. - C:\Program Files\EgisTec\MyWinLocker 3\x86\\MWLService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton 360 (N360) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton 360\Engine\4.1.0.32\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: NTI IScheduleSvc - NewTech Infosystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\NewTech Infosystems\Acer Backup Manager\IScheduleSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NTI Backup Now 5 Backup Service (NTIBackupSvc) - NewTech InfoSystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\NewTech Infosystems\NTI Backup Now 5\BackupSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NTI Backup Now 5 Scheduler Service (NTISchedulerSvc) - NewTech Infosystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\NewTech Infosystems\NTI Backup Now 5\SchedulerSvc.exe
--
End of file - 8785 bytes

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated

#13 ·
Yours startup needs to be trimmed up:

Follow the Instructions Very Carefully:
1. Go to The Desktop
2. Use the Shortcut "Win Key + R"
3. The "Run Windows will come up".
4. Type "msconfig" in the box that comes up.
5. A "New Window " will come up.
6. Navigate to the "Startup Tab".
7. Untick the follow items carefully:

ArcadeDeluxeAgent.exe
CLMLSvc.exe
PMVService.exe
Skytel.exe
jusched.exe
Reader_sl.exe
EgisUpdate.exe
Also Download "Auslogics Disk Defrag and Defrag all your hard disk partitions"
Auslogics Disk Defrag

#14 ·
Remove the battery and run on main power only. See if the speed returns to normal. A dying battery can often cause the symptoms you are experiencing.
A bad cell in the batteri, will drag the power down and make the motherboard components over stress. That would include the ram and the CPU.
Have you tried looking in the task manager, to see which applications are overusing the compute? Look particularly in the resource monitor.

#15 ·
Ok I've cleaned up the startup processes as suggested and this doesn't seem to have made a huge ddifference. Maybe slightly faster on first launch of programmes since doingg that and updating Norton, but not a huge difference.

Startup processes wouldn't explain the other problems I'm having though would it? The obvious issues, other than slow first programme launch are the inability to run Windows restore and also problems with web browsing, particularly watching videos eg. youtube, bbc iplayer etc, or playing games like Bejwelled. Things just get so slow it's unbearable, and I know it's not the net connection as the PC in the other room (also wireless connection) and the xbox over live are ok.

Sorry for the continued pestering but any more ideas :).

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated.

#16 ·
I mentioned previous; do you have updated chipset drivers installed? Also, I would still try disabling Norton 360 just to see if that is causing the issue. If you're concerned about protection, disable the internet connection just for the sake of seeing if 360 is the problem.

Uninstall those spyware loaded internet game apps such as PartyPoker.

#19 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.