Anyone here live in a flood prone area?

LANMaster

Thread Starter
Banned
Joined
Jan 6, 2003
Messages
55,854
Does anyone here tend to expect to fill sandbags every rainy season?

I have an idea for flood control, and I am curious if anyone in here has to regulary concern themselves with flooding.

TY
LAN
 

Guyzer

Guy
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
12,131
LANMaster said:
Does anyone here tend to expect to fill sandbags every rainy season?

I have an idea for flood control, and I am curious if anyone in here has to regulary concern themselves with flooding.

TY
LAN
Howdie Doodie LANMaster. I live on the edge of a flood plain which is the Red River Valley area of southern Manitoba, it's only a few miles away. You being from the US of A might be interested in dealing with folks from your side of the border, like in North Dakota as they are in the same situation. From the Int'l border south to Fargo is very susceptible to flooding and this year history could repeat itself. It's only my opinion but with all the rain we / they had before freeze-up and the piles of snow we / they are getting the beach could end up in smack dab in the middle of North America. The last biggie was in 1997 and they called it " The Flood of The Century." Here is a link that may help. You could also Google for Grand Forks, N.D. flood of 1997. It really hit them hard.
 

LANMaster

Thread Starter
Banned
Joined
Jan 6, 2003
Messages
55,854
Hidey Ho, Wimpy.

Thanks for the info!

I'mhoping to get someone who lives near the Mississippi River. But let me know if you want to have a gander at my idea anyway.
 

Guyzer

Guy
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
12,131
LANMaster said:
Hidey Ho, Wimpy.

Thanks for the info!

I'mhoping to get someone who lives near the Mississippi River. But let me know if you want to have a gander at my idea anyway.
Sure I would like you have a peek.
I know the Mighty Mississippi is a big river but so is the Red River flowing past Fargo and Grand Forks. Someday it's a'gonna flood again.
 

LANMaster

Thread Starter
Banned
Joined
Jan 6, 2003
Messages
55,854
The idea mostly deals with slow rising water, not flash flooding.
 

guitarman1

Banned
Joined
Nov 27, 2004
Messages
717
Yes indeedy , the idiots built the town where a large river is joined by 2 large creeks (n) Nice town though . The original pioneers must have been :confused:
 
Joined
Oct 9, 2001
Messages
27,087
I'm pretty sure we'll have another huge flood this Wimpy. The amount of water in the ground was high, since we had so much rain this summer. Plus we have ALOT of snow this year...but the real problem isn't the water we have...but the precipitation and amount of water coming up from the south.

Fortunately, with the Z-Dike, and the floodway, we 'should' be better prepared than in '97.

Of course...if the town I live in ever floods...there will be no more Winnipeg...hehe.
 

Guyzer

Guy
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
12,131
Gibble said:
I'm pretty sure we'll have another huge flood this Wimpy. The amount of water in the ground was high, since we had so much rain this summer. Plus we have ALOT of snow this year...but the real problem isn't the water we have...but the precipitation and amount of water coming up from the south.

Fortunately, with the Z-Dike, and the floodway, we 'should' be better prepared than in '97.

Of course...if the town I live in ever floods...there will be no more Winnipeg...hehe.
Gib's I'm shocked you're turning floods into Wimpy's. :eek: :D I have been saying the same thing. Lots of moisture when the ground froze, lots of snow here and more down south that our US friends are going to send our way. That darn drainage ditch from Devils Lake,N.D. is almost done and thats going to come our way as well. If they want water so bad in California and Arizona why don't they send it there. *light goes on* Oh I know why.The Yanks only want clean water. :confused:
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
2,141
What if the feds were to start buying up land to eventually create the "Mississippi River Flood Plain National Park".
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
18,196
FEMA loves to buy up flood plain land, especially around the Mississippi. Two problems:

1) People are stubborn. "I've lived here for 34 years and I'm not lettin' the gubment tell me where I can live!" :rolleyes:

2) FEMA keeps getting their funding cut. I usually stand behind our President, but on this, I have to say (n)
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
2,141
DiSaidSo said:
FEMA loves to buy up flood plain land, especially around the Mississippi. Two problems:

1) People are stubborn. "I've lived here for 34 years and I'm not lettin' the gubment tell me where I can live!" :rolleyes:

2) FEMA keeps getting their funding cut. I usually stand behind our President, but on this, I have to say (n)
Right, but most property will come up for sale eventually, within one or two generations. FEMA could just be in the market over the long haul and maybe in sixty or eighty years have depopulated the area enough to break the dikes and levees. The restored flood plain would then make flooding less severe in the populated areas.
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
18,196
LuckyStrike said:
Right, but most property will come up for sale eventually, within one or two generations. FEMA could just be in the market over the long haul and maybe in sixty or eighty years have depopulated the area enough to break the dikes and levees. The restored flood plain would then make flooding less severe in the populated areas.

You're so right that I almost passed out from all the rightness. :D (y)

Dams and levees become more and more threatening the older they get. You can't replace a dam! And levees could eventually lead to a river not "aging" properly. I hope you're right about the flood plains to the Mississippi being bought out in a couple of generations. Viva Las Floodplains! :D
 
Joined
Nov 2, 2004
Messages
2,141
Just think of it! One hundred years from now, a few million acres of land going wild, teeming with wildlife. LuckyStrike Jr. and WetChicken Jr. could go hunting together. :D
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Top