1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone (in NZ) could help me with Port Forwarding please?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chinofeliz, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chinofeliz

chinofeliz Thread Starter

Hi folks, first post here. I need help with port forwarding. I've checked out the very useful site portforward.com but it's just quite different when it comes to router settings etc. even though I selected exactly the same router I've got. Maybe because I'm in New Zealand using a NZ/Aussie make of D-Link and the site's written by someone in US?

So yeah you don't have to be a Kiwi to help me but that'd be definitely helpful :) I'm using a D-Link DSL-504G ADSL Router. I'm usually stuck at the step where I'm supposed to set up a Static IP for port forwarding and the staff at Xtra told me I need to buy a Static IP - that's not what I heard.

So yeah get in touch please, I'd appreciate it a lot if someone familiar with port forwarding could walk me through this.

Cheers
    Chinofeliz

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your router has the ability (feature) for you to reserve an IP for a particular computer, use that method. Otherwise, assign a static IP to your computer. The IP needs to be in the same subnet but outside the range of the router's Dhcp server. Mask and DNS addresses the same as what you get with a dynamic configuration.

3. aero_quail

aero_quail

Ha Ha Im from NZ as well. And I'm also having trouble setting up static IP. But my prob is the DNS settings. When I go to the command box for XP, the DNS is only one, and its the default gateway for the router, which is DSL 504G. Any ideas anyone?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    aero_quail, even though you may have a very similar problem, we will get confused (and violate forum rules) trying to post suggestions and solutions for two different people. Please start your own thread, while continuing to monitor (and help) this one. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that you both are confusing a public IP (the WAN address your router needs to communicate with the outside world) and a private IP each of your computers needs to communicate with the LAN side of your router. For port forwarding you need a static private IP for your computer--see my post #2.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Chino,

When they are asking you for the Static IP address, it means that you will need to change some information on your PC first.

Do this: Go to Start > Run > type in cmd and then press enter. Then type in ipconfig /all and press enter. You should see your network information. If you are using default information from your machine, your output should look something like this:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JENNY
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.va.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.va.comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-61-9B-FD-77
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.73.242
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 68.87.73.226

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 03, 2007 2:57:45 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 04, 2007 2:57:45 PM

What you will need to do first is note down your IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and the DNS servers. These are very important. Then you will need to go into your network card properties and switch from automatically obtain IP address to use the following IP address. Put in the same information that you found in IPCONFIG and then press OK.

When that is done, the IP address you put in is the static IP address you need to start port forwarding.

There is a PUBLIC Static IP address that you would normally pay for. I'm assuming that the person you were talking to was confused.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice