1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone interested???

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by DoyceJ, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DoyceJ

DoyceJ Thread Starter

This is one of the sites that I was using to learn. Well, they have decided to close the doors. Here is the link and copy of the page. It is a good site with a lot of good stuff, hate to lose it.

http://www.putergeek.com/index.shtml

THE END OF PUTERGEEK.COM! It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that PuterGeek.Com is closing it's doors forever.

I simply no longer have the time, inclination, or funds to keep the site going. While I am still a geek (at least in my own mind), I find that I wish to use my limited free time for purposes other than maintaining this website. I wish to thank all of you for your kind offers of webspace and/or funds to help keep the site going, but in all fairness...I really don't know when I'll feel like devoting the time and energy the site needs and deserves.

The site will go offline sometime in the next 30-45 days. All of you are welcome to grab all the files on the download page just in case you may need them at a later date. While I have been looking for someone to take over the entire site, I have yet to get any offers. If any of you wish to purchase PuterGeek.Com and the entire contents please email me at [email protected] . If you wish to setup a mirror or simply put some of my pages on your website please do. All that I ask is that you leave the page(s) intact and give credit for their content.

I am working on making a PDF file of the website. It *may* be put on the download page if I have time prior to the site going down....warning, the PDF will be in excess of 16 megs in size. As an alterative, you may wish to download the entire site to your 'puter. There are many fine shareware and freeware programs that can do this for you.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

JR
    Went to the and read the reasons for their shutting down of the site and how sad.
    Dave

3. DoyceJ

DoyceJ Thread Starter

Isnt it though?

Just in case.

Hey TechGuy, whatever nuisance I or others may be at times, Thank You for TSG and the work, time and effort you put into it and other things. Means a lot to many of us.

4. Sharon D

Sharon D

Amen to that! I don't think I could live without this site in my life. I enjoy learning from everybody here and helping out when I can. And the group of people that comprise this site are hardworking, intelligent and often times humorous. It's always a privilege to be able to hang out here when I can find time.
    I read the homepage of putergeek and it was indeed very sad...

5. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Wow, another free site gone... So sad to see so many of them closing down or starting to charge.

Just to set everyone at ease: I have no plans of shutting this site down in the near (or long-term) future. If, someday, things were ever to get that bad, I promise that I'd bring it to everyone's attention and beg for money and ideas. :)

6. hewee

hewee

Yes some real good sites are gone [​IMG] just like that.

But it's nice to hear that you TechGuy will not do that. Hope your real young too.:D

Edit:
    Took out dead image links

7. Spinach

Spinach

I agree, it is actually very upsetting to see a site like that go down. Especially where the owner is settng out to supply a service (a free service at that) of such usefullness and ends up quitting because of the zero appreciation factor.

my opinion: i'd actually prefer seeing a free site go down than it becoming a pay site... it seems more dignified and noble to me. they are the true servicemen and not the moneygrabbers i have grown to dislike

for those unaware www.windrivers.com became a pay site recently. :mad: To me it was a nice resource for quick finds on drivers

Last note: DoyceJ, I agree with you, a huge thanks to TechGuy for this site! it's growing very nicely and it's service is far beyond exceptional, its @!#$ing amazing (Sorry, I can't think of any other words)! out of all the tech support sites, this is now the one of the only ones i come to, both for service and it's community (almost 30000 of us, WOW) :)

Damn, i sound like i am doing some major sucking up here! i'm gonna shut up now!

8. DoyceJ

DoyceJ Thread Starter

I didnt know about the 30,000 thing. Thats amazing. I must say though, some of those closures work for good also. Look at the fresh supply of talent it brings in when problems arise on other forums.

If only they werent so darn much smarter than me. Oh well, thats what keeps TSG great. :)

9. Gary16735

Gary16735

Having found this site only a short time ago, I don't think I could get by without it. In the past few weeks, I have learned more that going to classes and reading all the "dummies" books. The responses have been great and the information is invaluable because it is from experience. Thank you TSG and all the very highly informed members who keep thing rolling along in fine fashion. Gary

10. angel

angel

Mikey - you do deserve a great big pat on the back and do you know what? I think you know that! Thankfully I think most people here do appreciate this site and don't take it for granted. I can't count how many THANK YOU'S I've seen in posts - whether directed at the volunteers or you. If it weren't for the great bunch of moderators and other long time posters showing/telling you that you're the best from time to time, I would guess that this site probably wouldn't still be around either. I hope you DO now how much this sites means to most of us and that we DO think you're the BEST. And I also hope that if you ever feel you're being taken advantage of or if you need anything that you'll let us know.

THANKS!!!!!!!

11. CellarDweller

CellarDweller

Hey! has anyone noticed that putergeek.com has NOT gone offline? Woohoo! Go there and read up on what's going on. :)

12. $teve

$teve

yep....its still up,it would be a great shame to see it go......start spreading the word folks.
    OH! and tech-guy..........your the man,we all owe you big time.
    take care all:rolleyes:
    $

13. dina16

dina16

Don't know much about Putergeek, but I too, would like to say how sorry I would be to see it go down.

I DO however, know HOW MUCH this site has helped me with various issues that arise as time passes by in the computer world and would like to say ONE HUGE THANK YOU to TechGuy for keeping this site alive. I have been coming here for a couple of months now, am pretty regular as a visitor and have leaned A LOT not to mention the trouble you have saved me.

I will agree with $teve, we owe you, BIG TIME!!!

Not to mention that I feel a friendliness coming through the wires and ending up on my screen which I HAD not expected. In fact, my first visit, all that was going through my mind is how can I make my question at least SOUND intellingent since I'm targeting it at a group of experts. NOT ONE did I feel looked down upon being a newbie.

HUGS AND THANKS,

Dina

14. wwwguide

wwwguide

Hello

Here's a page I put together, but no longer support due to their not allowing ftp access to upload web pages any longer.

http://wwwguide.50megs.com/Outback/computers2.html

It has some good tech support sites on it and links to some other pages of mine.

Have Fun,
    wwwguide:cool:

15. god

god Guest

wwwguide,

An impressive amount of info. on your site.
    I was interested in the 1-click shutdown for WIN95.

Would that work on WIN98SE?

Would you type the command line string on 1-line for me.

Thanks,
    I'd appreciate it.
    god :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice