Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone know about Iomega 100 Zip Drive

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  arknorth 
#1 ·
Hi there:

I have an Iomega 100 Zip Drive. Yeah, I know it's a few years old! The reason I still use it is because I have several discs and it's been working- up until now.

Today, I put in a disc and what normally happens is a little green light in the front comes on and begins flashing then the light goes out. That same green lit button is what I can use to eject the disc. Now, what's happening is the light stays on solid green. I cannot eject the disc. And my computer is not even detecting the hardware by showing me the icon when I click on "My Computer".

Is it something to do with my computer? Or the Zip Drive itself? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
is there any noise at all? does it sound like the drive is at least trying to move?

i used to have an iomega zip drive, i dont remember what number =) it was back in 1995!

#4 ·
While it is a few years (or more) old and it is possible that it has just given up its last chance at survival, It may be something simple also. Is this an internally mounted drive? Or is a USB attached Drive. I have had both, the USB drive a Zip 250. Still have it. Not using it the disks are too expensive for my choice. If it is an internal attached drive, Check the cables as they may have come loose. If USB try attaching it to another USB port.

#5 ·
Thanks Dusty. Yeah, I it's an external Zip drive. I tried all of the other ports with no luck.

One other thing I can say is that it did the same thing last week. After wiggling the only 2 connections a few times ( the power cord and the USB cord) it worked fine. Both cords appear in good condition. There doesn't appear to be any way of opening the unit to see inside.

#6 ·
More like jammed - it sounds like the disk did not seat right, which was a problem with these Zip Drives. I used to have to litterally pry the disk out for customers who would pop them in and miss the small tab they need to hit inside the drive for it to activate the capspan. That's the reason why you have the steady light - it thinks that the disk hasn't seated itself yet.

This is also the signs of failure about to happen, as when a Zip Drive starts missing the disk, it usually means that the small tab it was meant to hit when being inserted is either bent or broken. It can also be a sign of a bad, or becoming bad disk, as they have a sliding door that has to get out of the way, much like a floppy. When they start to get flimsy, they can screw up the gut of the drive but good!

Take a flashlight and see if you can see between the disk and the guts of the drive. See if the slider is still flush with the disk or if it looks like its separated or bent away from it. If it is, the disk tried to seat, but the mounting pin is stuck on that sliding cover. If you have something thin and metal, you might be able to slip it in there and slide that cover aside to let it seat right. Otherwise, taking it apart might be the only way to unjam it.

Good Luck

A-N

#8 ·
arknorth~

I don't think it's a jamming problem. I've tried several discs and each slips in very easily and ejects very easily when I put a thin probe through the little pin hole at the back.

I also did what you suggested using a flashlight and took a look inside and nothing seems to be irregular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.