1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anyone know alot about the Centrino mobile laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuzzyWuzzy, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

I heard they last up to 7 hours, thats amazing. But its also $600 more than a rg P4. Im still tempted to change my toshiba A70 P4 to a centrino just cause the battery life increase alone. Also its lighter and thinner too.

The only thing is mine is 2.8gig, the centrino s only 1.6. So why would I shell out more $ for a slower cpu?

2hours is kinda bad for laptop.

2. FuzzyWuzzy

its tempting. $600 more but you basically pay for longer batt life and sacirifce some cpu power.

Im going to be using this as a desktop replacement, so I dont know if P4 or centrino is the best for me.

3. lochgreen29

lochgreen29

FuzzyWuzzy,

The new class M processors which host the centrino chips are clocked differently from other Intel chips. A rule of thumb is that the speed of the new chips are twice that of other chips.... so 1.6ghz Centrino chip is equivalent to a p4 3.2ghz chip.

My centrino laptop battery lasts for 5-6 hours.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    " 1.6ghz Centrino chip is equivalent to a p4 3.2ghz chip."

Can you please reference that?

5. lochgreen29

lochgreen29

6. FuzzyWuzzy

1.6 centrino is equal to 3.2 p4? hmmm thats hard to believe. maybe intel is making false facts?

i dont know.

And how are you able to get 5-6hours out of your centrino laptop the poster who said that above, thanks. I woul like to know. But also running it on the highest brightness kills it.

7. ArcticMarine

ArcticMarine

Well, actually that is about right, its because of the 2mb L2 cache compared to the 1mb cache in the p4. The main reason to get the centrino setup is that its wireless ready, and the battery can last about 5 hours, 7 in some sony laptops. They are also lighter than the regular p4 laptops. It really depends on what you are gonna be using it for. Do you travel a lot, or is it gonna be plugged in all the time. The p4 is gonna be faster but its only gonna last about 2 hours.

8. ArcticMarine

ArcticMarine

I just read your second post about using it for desktop replacement, Id definaly go with the p4 then, since you can keep it plugged in all the time. You might also consider switching teams and going with the althon 64.

9. libbyinabq

libbyinabq Guest

question--to record TV shows edit and copy that to a dvd, can a centrino handle it?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice